Can a lender change their mind after they move the car off your property

Arlene S

Jurisdiction
California
in late December a third party tow company hired by in car leader came to my home and move a car off my property to a public alley way and said they would be back with a flat bed. I called the Leander on 1/10/24 because the car is still there and I don't want a ticket or any issues with the city. first they said they dont have a repo on file and they changed it to they changed their minds due to the condition. I asked way would they move it from my back yard in that condition if they were going to just leave it in the alley. they tried to say it was always there and then said they can not move it back. I am unsure what to do next. I feel they already took possessor when they moved it from my property.

Can they do it? They DID do it.

Now you are stuck with the fallout.

Is the car still in your name at the DMV? If so, you're not going to win this. If you get cited by the city, you won't win that either.

Did you default on the loan? If yes, this is what I call "lender's revenge." They stick you with an unusable car.

There's nothing you can do to force the lender to have the car moved again.

If you want the car moved from the alley, you'll have to hire a tow truck or flatbed.

What you do with it then, I have no idea.

in late December a third party tow company hired by in car leader came to my home and move a car off my property to a public alley way and said they would be back with a flat bed. I called the Leander on 1/10/24 because the car is still there and I don't want a ticket or any issues with the city. first they said they dont have a repo on file and they changed it to they changed their minds due to the condition. I asked way would they move it from my back yard in that condition if they were going to just leave it in the alley. they tried to say it was always there and then said they can not move it back. I am unsure what to do next. I feel they already took possessor when they moved it from my property.
What you might consider is that if the plates are in your name, remove them and turn them in to DMV saying the car is no longer in your possession. The car was repossessed and abandoned by the lender.

What you might consider is that if the plates are in your name, remove them and turn them in to DMV saying the car is no longer in your possession. The car was repossessed and abandoned by the lender.
In CA, the plates stay with the car.

Back