Broker's fees and conditions

mclegal

Jurisdiction
Washington
I have a home that I am looking to sell. In the past I was approached by some brokers because it is in a desirable area here in WA. What I'm not completely clear about is how this works if both of us are looking to sell my home. For example, what if I find a person who ultimately becomes a buyer? I don't want to get into a situation where the broker tries to get a piece of the sale as if he's the person necessary to close the deal when it's mostly my own effort. Now I'm not saying I have reasons not to trust this broker, but I want to be careful before I commit to a relationship. Can anyone provide some advice on how to proceed?

Can anyone provide some advice on how to proceed?
You should thoroughly read and understand the documents and contracts you'll be signing.
Once you've done that, do it again,take notes to discuss things you don't fully understand BEFORE signing ANY document.
If the contract(s) are well written, you should easily understand your rights and obligations.

You can also retain the services of an attorney to read and review the contracts, and advise you whether signing them would be problematic or appropriate.

As always, you must decide what works best for you!!!

Can anyone provide some advice on how to proceed?

Sure.

1. Carefully read the agreement the broker asks you to sign.
2. If there's anything in the agreement you think is ambiguous, discuss it with the broker until you reach a mutual understanding, and have the agreement modified to reflect the mutual understanding.
3. Discuss your particular concern with the broker and, if appropriate, request modifications to the agreement.
4. If you're uncertain about anything, retain the services of a local attorney.

Back