Bait and Switch? Wanted a 6 month least, got a 12 month lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjbolex

Hi all,

We originally contacted a apartment complex and asked for a six month lease as we were a new couple, not sure if things would work out or not.

The package deal was quite good, two weeks free rent and a discount on month one, one of the reasons we went with the complex.

However, on the contract signing date, we signed the contract and then saw that they had stipulated a 12 month lease.

I then told the sales person we wanted a 6 month lease; to which she said that it would take a day or two to redraw the contract.

So we just ended up signing the contract as we wanted to take the keys as soon as possible; but I did ask what the cancellation policy was, to which the salesperson said one months rent.

So it turns out... we aren't working out. It's six months in 1 months time and I rang the "new" salesperson telling her of the situation.

She said that the contract is legally binding and nothing can be changed, I then asked about the early termination policy and then she said it is one months rent, plus two weeks that were free, plus the discount on the first months rent back... which ends up putting it to the equivelant of two months rent.

To me, the sales person originally was in the wrong for pulling a bait and switch on us. Would this hold up in court or are we screwed for having signed the wrong contract?

Secondly, the fact we were told only one months rent cancellation would indeed be _ok_ with me, but having to pay two months rent (near) is kind of absurd... how do I approach this?

There's 7 months or so left on the lease nearly and I am pretty keen to just get out to wash away the memories!

The gate on the complex rarely works, and that was another selling point of the apartment complex - security. Can I work this angle?

Any advice appreciated, don't really want a messy fight would just like to not be here anymore.

ps apologies for the title typo... cant edit it however!

You can certainly contest the issue and force them to sue you. If that happens expect them to seek rent for remaining 6 months! The "perks" you got were in exchange for one year lease agreement. Your leaving early removes that so yes you owe. Like I said your getting off cheap in my view.

The perks were part of the six month deal too, or at least that was the impression I was under.. at no time did we ask for a 12 month lease.

If that's the case then so be it, I was hoping for some other way around leaving without shelling out this much.

Since your original posting does not indicate you resigned a six month lease, you have no documentation that you have a six month lease.

If you did resign, what did the lease contain in terms of the two weeks free, the discount, etc.?

Gail

Yeah, there was no resigning.. and there should have been in hindsight.

I know by technicalities I'm at fault, I was sort of hoping there would be some law against what the salesperson did... I believe it to be bad practice but what do I know

The salesperson offered to change the lease to a 6 month lease, but you were not willing to wait a day. It doesn't seem to me like the salesperson did anything wrong and your eagerness to save a day has cost you 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back