back pay

mommy26

Jurisdiction
Michigan
So I have a question hoping someone can help me out.. My sons is almsot 8 and his father has not been there for him the whole 8 years of his life...I met a man when my son was 2 and been with him ever since we are now in the process of getting married.. His blood father messaged me not long ago n wanted to sign off rights.. How does that work?? Will he still have to pay the back pay for all the years he has not played?? I know he will not have to pay child support anymore witch is fine but will he get away with not paying all the back pay for the 8 years he has done nothing for my son??

You need to slow down. First, the court will want to make sure you and your husband have a long-term marriage before any step-parent adoption can happen. Dad cannot sign off his rights just because, and since you're not even married yet, not going to happen. When you've been married a couple of years, that would be the time to consult a family law/adoption attorney. And if you've never filed for CS orders through the court, no, Dad does not owe you any child support.

Actually I have got him for child support...right after my son was born he owes a lot of money to my son...I think maybe I'd rather find out myself threw the courts or a lawyer because I read a little online and it don't sound like anything your saying...where did you get your information?? I also think I can hold a marriage down iv been with the same man 7 years now..

My information comes from years of researching questions just like yours, reading state statutes and personal experience. Yours came from Yahoo! I expect?

If Dad has been court ordered to pay CS and has not, then, no, the arrears will not disappear, even if AFTER you're married a couple of years, you and your husband decide on trying for a step-parent adoption.

But by all means consult an attorney.

Have you ever filed for contempt of the CS order? if not, why not? Adoption plans aside, if you want him to pay what he owes, you have to take it to court.

Back