Back child support

Jurisdiction
Missouri
If wages are garnished and I get an additional or second job would child support be taken out of the 2nd jobs wages also? Or could I send in extra additional money toward my back child support? I'm behind on child support and need to figure out a way to pay the back child support. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If wages are garnished and I get an additional or second job would child support be taken out of the 2nd jobs wages also? Or could I send in extra additional money toward my back child support? I'm behind on child support and need to figure out a way to pay the back child support. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You can discuss payment arrangements with the child support enforcement agency in an effort to create a payment scheme which will get you out of the red.

Otherwise, someone will start sniffing around your "extra" income.
Those folks will try to get everything the can find.

I'm behind on child support and need to figure out a way to pay the back child support. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes.

If you get a second job, immediately call the agency that is garnishing your pay and arrange for voluntary payroll deduction to pay down the arrears.

It's the only way you can be sure that there is an official record of your payments so you can get credit for them.

Don't pay your ex direct and don't try to hide the job from the state.

The child supports obviously court ordered so would I call the county the child supports out of? I dont know who else to contact. I have 2 cases and they are in seperate counties. Not sure who to call to notify when I get a new job. But I wanna do it the right way.

You can discuss payment arrangements with the child support enforcement agency in an effort to create a payment scheme which will get you out of the red.

Otherwise, someone will start sniffing around your "extra" income.
Those folks will try to get everything the can find.

Ok, thanks, I just dont wanna get screwed or do it wrong.

I have 2 cases and they are in seperate counties. Not sure who to call to notify when I get a new job.

One or the other. Two schools of thought. One is notify the case with the smaller balance and work on getting that paid off and you'll see some progress. The other is to work on the bigger balance first to reduce the amount of interest that's accruing (if interest is accruing).

Either way, I suggest just one, but the important thing is to have the official record of your payments.

Id rather pay off the larger sum first, to avoid jail time. Its hard right now bc they take half my paycheck and theres no extra. But I'm trying for a 2nd job... I do what I can...

Back