Am i liable if i quit paying on a vehicle not in my name?

Lovesong74

Jurisdiction
West Virginia
My friends dad had gotten a new car for his girlfriend and she left him, he was going to return the car to the dealer but instead let me make the payments on it for the last four years, the transmission went out in it last sept and i notified him and told him that i couldnt afford to fix it, am i liable for the rest of the payments on the car?

My friends dad had gotten a new car for his girlfriend and she left him, he was going to return the car to the dealer but instead let me make the payments on it for the last four years, the transmission went out in it last sept and i notified him and told him that i couldnt afford to fix it, am i liable for the rest of the payments on the car?
What was the exact wording of the agreement you have with your friends father? How old is the car? What was the cause of transmission failure? What kind of warrantee does the car have?

No, you've been renting it for the last four years. It's still his car, his loan, his payments (despite that you may be sending them to the lender).
One of the many smart, no nonsense responders helping humanity in distress 24/7/365, using mother wit, horse sense, common sense, rational reasoning along with proportional doses of intelligence and wisdom to ease the burdens of citizens in distress.

Here's your highly coveted, CLAPOUT, Brother Clapper!!!

claphands.gif

My friends dad had gotten a new car for his girlfriend and she left him

In whose name(s) is/are the car titled? I'm guessing you have possession of the car, correct?

he was going to return the car to the dealer but instead let me make the payments on it for the last four years

How long were payments being made before you began making them? It's pretty close to being paid off, correct?

the transmission went out in it last sept

Is it still under warranty?

am i liable for the rest of the payments on the car?

You're not liable to the lender to whom you've been making payments, but you might be liable to your friend's father. As others noted, it depends on the terms of your agreement with him.

Back