Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Accused Of Shoplifting, Came back with receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.

roryswife

I was in a Retail chain drugstore recently,spent less then my usual weekely amount 85.00. The clerk was a young new girl. I noticed her as I looked at costume jewelry and she tried to take my cart away. I politely told her I was useing that. She retorted that she was just playing with it. (I think she was watching me) I paaid for my items and left the store.
About 3 days later I come back into the store,.I'm in a hurry.I grab the cart inches from the front door go right to the cooler and put a 12 pk of beer in my cart. I go straight to the register and ask the girl for a pak of cigaretees. All of a sudden there is a large man in front of me, but to the right of the cashier and I. I swipe my debit card and he says "What about the shoes?" I said what shoes? He stands there stareing at me in a conteptous manner,and bobbing his head in a gesture of disdain. (Which he did thru the entire ordeal) About 5 times he asks me what about the shoes? I asked what are you talkng about? All the customers and employees are stareing at me,and when I looked at the customers for support they all glared at me. I said what are you implying that I stole these slippers I am wearing? He says a customer saw me do it. I said what customer? There was no one even near me. I walked in,went from point A to point B. I didn't even window shop. I finally said here. Take my debit card and look it up on the computer you can see that I paid for them 3 days ago. He said I can't do that. I said oh yes you can I have worked for a Lg Supermarket chain for 15 years,and I know you can. He finally says ring her up. I say I'm so mad I'm ready to call the Police he said I wish you would. I told him fine. I'm comeing back with my receipt..I live right up the road and normally spen about 600 a month there. I call there customer service and comlain. The District manager will get back to me Mon. I was so angry I had tears rolling down my face. I came back to the store,asked the cashier to get him. I had circled the slippers on the slip. He stood there stareing at it for about 3 min..all the time not saying anything or looking at me. Finally I say I circled it. He says I see that. I told him I didn't think you figured that out since you've been stareing at it for so long. In the mean times the alarms go off as 2 young women are walking out the store. I said aren't you gonna go ater them? Looks like ya got a couple of real thieves. I had the common courtesy not to talk to him in earshot of his employees and customers as he did I. He never made eye contact with me handed me the receipt and whispered sorry, a customer said you stole them. I said oh no, it was that cocky girl behind the counter (The one that moved my cart) I told him Buddy,you don't know who you're messin' with,and thanks for that heartfelt apologize. You should hear from your Dis Manager soon. My husband talked to him nicely over the phone (Works out of state) The Mg said I was walking in and out and in and out of the sore, Liar! Now what? Thankyou Sincerly!

When you contacted corporate (call you were told will come Monday) you did all you can. You may not get that call today as they will likely research the situation first give them till wednesday to call you back. If no call then call again. Explain (in detail) what happened without statements like
bobbing his head in a gesture of disdain
all they need are the facts. Feel free to say they were rude and took matte rout in the open which caused you embarassment. Just stay away from bias statements like quote above. All they need to know is what happened. Tell them you are a frequent shopper and about what you spend and have been a loyal customer for (insert years). When all is said and done tell them you expect to be treated better than this and that the store did not follow any typical LP procedure in this matter. You should also tell them you wish to be compensated for the treatment and embarassment you endured. Heres is what you should ask for.

Termination or HR action taken agaist cashier who caused probelm
Termination or HR action taken on LP staff who treated you badly and did not follow any typical LP procedure for suspected shoplifting
Monetary compensation (gift card) for the trouble (Don't expect much but dont accept less then $25.00)

I hope this has helped if you have further questions please post them. Your right no one should be treated like that based on heresay!

A few things.

This was a honest mistake. I don't agree that you should ask for HR action or termination against the employees. I would calmly ask the District Manager what he is going to do in order to make you whole.

What state are you in? Almost every state has a merchant detention law which allows for them to stop you for a reasonable time in order to determine if you have their merchandise.

I would ask for a written apology and maybe a gift card to the store. You spending $600 a month there and acting like you are a big customer means nothing to them.Your $7200 a year is nothing.

Act polite, be firm and see what they can give you, but you have no real legal recourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back