Accident in rental car not sure if I need a lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee0011

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Hello, last year I was hit in the back by a young man but he hit about 5 cars and it totalled the rental car I was in. The guy that hit us insurance wasn't enough to cover everyone's damage but my insurance picked up the remainder amount, but there were insurance fees and other fees my insurance didn't pick up. I am now getting letter from some credit collection company for ruffly $3,500 of fees my question should I contact a lawyer or I am stuck. My insurance company told me to contact the guys insurance company. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?
Do you (or did you at the time) carry UNINSURED or UNDERINSURED MOTORISTS coverage?

If you answer is YES, your insurer and you need to chat.

Why?

Your insurer is on the hook for either or both.

If the answer is NO, oops, you're gonna be out at least $3500, maybe more.

It sounds to me as if there are items that the rental company is charging for that aren't covered by insurance. These would be things like (but not limited to) loss of revenue from the car during the period that it is out of service. I would suggest that you push the matter up higher at your insurance company and also explore whether or not the credit card you used to pay offers any sort of coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back