Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
US Federal Law

Mar 10

Forward 1 hour

Mar 10, 2024 - Daylight Saving Time Starts

When local standard time is about to reach
Sunday, March 10, 2024, 2:00:00 am clocks are turned forward 1 hour to
Sunday, March 10, 2024, 3:00:00 am local daylight time instead.

Nov 3

Back 1 hour

Nov 3, 2024 - Daylight Saving Time Ends

When local daylight time is about to reach
Sunday, November 3, 2024, 2:00:00 am clocks are turned backward 1 hour to
Sunday, November 3, 2024, 1:00:00 am local standard time instead.
Sunrise and sunset will be about 1 hour earlier on Nov 3, 2024 than the day before. There will be more light in the morning.

Not to worry, citizens, whenever you move your timekeeping device forward, or roll it back an hour; sooner or later it'll begin reflecting the CORRECT time.

No need to interfere with your sleep, because you can awaken at 8:00 AM Sunday morning, move your clock forward an hour and you'll be synced up with the rest of your country people.

What are the current rules for daylight saving time?

The rules for DST changed in 2007 for the first time in more than 20 years. The new changes were enacted by the Energy Policy Act of 2005, which extended the length of DST in the interest of reducing energy consumption. The rules increased the duration of DST by about one month. DST is now in effect for 238 days, or about 65% of the year, although Congress retained the right to revert to the prior law should the change prove unpopular or if energy savings are not significant. At present, daylight saving time in the United States

• begins at 2:00 a.m. on the second Sunday of March (at 2 a.m. the local time time skips ahead to 3 a.m. so there is one less hour in that day)
  • ends at 2:00 a.m. on the first Sunday of November (at 2 a.m. the local time becomes 1 a.m. and that hour is repeated, so there is an extra hour in that day)
What is daylight saving time?

Daylight saving time, or DST, is the period of the year when clocks are moved one hour ahead. In the United States, this has the effect of creating more sunlit hours in the evening during months when the weather is the warmest. We advance our clocks ahead one hour at the beginning of DST, and move them back one hour ("spring forward, fall back") when we return to standard time (ST). The transition from ST to DST has the effect of moving one hour of daylight from the morning to the evening. The transition from DST to ST effectively moves one hour of daylight from the evening to the morning.

DST was formally introduced in the United States in 1918. Today, most of the country and its territories observe DST. However, DST is not observed in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and the state of Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Indian Reservation, which does observe DST).

Daylight saving time and time zones are regulated by the U. S. Department of Transportation, not by NIST. However, as an official timekeeper for the United States, NIST observes all rules regarding DST when it distributes time-of-day information to the public.

dst-clocks-1514020441.jpgDaylight_Saving_Time_2024_in_the_United_States-2926769474.png

Last edited:
Not me. Phoenix don't do dat.

Got more daylight than we know what to do with.

I'm selling bottles of daylight for $29.95 each. Buy now and get a second bottle absolutely free. Supplies are limited. Not sold in stores. Blah blah blah.

;)

I have (probably too) many timepieces. About half adjust themselves by either satellite signal or from the NIST (which was known as the National Bureau of Standards when I was growing up) time signal broadcast from near Fort Collins, Colorado. The other half I have just completed changing. :D That costs me nearly an hour of time twice a year, real time time that I don't get back.

I had some hope that the last bill in Congress to effectively put the U.S. on DST all year around would pass, putting an end to what I regard as a largely unnecessary and time wasting ritual, the need for which, if it ever existed, does not exist now. It didn't make it through Congress, suffering the same fate as all efforts to make that change have suffered since at least the 1970s.

Croce died far too soon. I love his music.

Same here. I've got all his albums on CD. He was an excellent singer song-writer and the fact that his music is mostly just himself wit the guitar makes it easy catch every word of his songs.

The vinyl to CD revolution was just starting to take off back then and quickly CDs left vinyl records nearly dead for decades — only to be revived and popular once again now. I now wish I had kept the old LPs I had all those years ago. They'd be worth more today than when I bought them.

The same thing happened with photography. I was an avid film photographer for many years, and then digital cameras came along and nearly killed off still film completely and did kill off any new still film cameras being made. (The movie industry still uses a lot of motion picture film, mostly supplied by Kodak.) Film too is seeing a come back. But I'm in good shape there, I still have all the analog photo equipment still in great condition and ready to go back into service. :D

Getting the actual film is still a problem though, and Kodak and other major film makers discontinued many of their film products of yesteryear, leaving much less choice. It was truly a sad day for me when Kodak announced that the last roll of its iconic Kodachrome film had been made (and given to an excellent pro photograper who used to take iconic photos that showed off the film's capability). Kodachrome was my main color film; Tri-X Pan for B&W. I can still get the Tri-X from specialty sellers as Kodak still makes that film. But not the Kodachrome. Paul Simon wrote the classic song "Kodachrome in 1973", which included the classic chorus:

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
Give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away
Well, they did take my Kodachrome away, and I was not happy about it.

That's progress.

The digital camera has given way to cameras in cell phones.

CDs have given way to iPods and online music. I don't even have stereo equipment anymore. I can go online and pick music or play music stored on a portable hard drive.

VCRs gave way to DVDs to TiVo to Blu Ray and now all that's needed is a smart TV or computer to watch streaming video.

Cars drive themselves. And stop themselves. Johnny Cab in Total Recall was prophetic.

Calculators. I bought my first hand held calculator in the late 70s for $150. Decades later, hand held calculators were being given away free as promotions. Now, every cell phone has a calculator.

Go back further and slide rules were ubiquitous for college math.

Remember MS-DOS, 7 character file names, 5" floppy discs which gave way to the 1.4mb Drive A. A 256mb hard drive was standard, and websites were called bulletin boards.

Yep, progress has made things very convenient.

I was an avid film photographer for many years, and then digital cameras came along and nearly killed off still film completely and did kill off any new still film cameras being made.
Oh boy, did you just bring back memories that I haven't thought about for years.

I was an avid crazed photographer as far back as 1961 when I was 12 years old. I had a darkroom in the basement of my parents' house where I would do all my own processing (development and printing) in B&W.

In high school, I worked for a portrait study taking pictures of newborn babies at the hospital twice a week and processed and printed them in the business's darkroom. The owner would then go and try to sell them to the parents. That was in a 4 X 5 negative format. I learned a lot about all sorts of darkroom techniques from the pros. After high school, I worked at a huge mail-order develop and print company for a year. I could tell you stories about what went through that print company, but I think not. Use your imagination.

Then I worked for a custom photo print business that did work for commercial advertising companies. This was all in the 1970's.

My first real camera was a Praktica SLR 35MM bought when I was 12. From there, I just kept moving up until I bought my first Nikon F FTN in early 1970's. Then there were all the lenses from 20MM to 2000MM and every accessory you could imagine. I was out of control. I even bought Nikon bellows for the camera for microphotography. Today, I still own 3 Nikons, a Roloflex E2, two Pentax, several Minolta, and a SpeedGrafic 4X5,

When I bought my house, I built a complete commercial darkroom in the basement. It's complete with a custom-built SS sink that can accommodate 20 X 24-inch trays, negative dryers, Pakolux print washer, a drum ferrotype dryer for glossy prints, enlargers that can print 4 X 5 B&W negatives, and a dichroic color enlarger that can print 2-1/4 X 2-1/4 color negatives, and a whole lot more.

But the sad truth is that none of it has been used since the digital camera age come to pass. It's just not the same art and I have no desire to sit in front of a computer editing photos by algorithm. In the darkroom, it was me creating the finished product. The fun and personal accomplishment is gone.

Last edited:
Back