Yo-yo Father

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearful4Real

And... it starts again. My daughter's biological father just paid a large lump sum for back child support in April. He isn't current with child support since March when the taxes were received by the county. Each time something happens about money, he contacts me. (Just a little background: I have full legal and physical custody of our daughter. He is in California where the case started. My daughter and I moved to Oklahoma January 1st of 2008 with "his permisson".) He says immediately each time, that he is filing papers to fight for 50/50 custody of our daughter. He hasn't been consistent and has on many occassions told the court that he wanted to give up his parental rights or has stated once, permission to have her adopted. My view on the subject is that until he can be consistent and show interest in his daughter other than when child support is becoming a issue for him, we can start establishing a possible visitation schedule. It's frustrating, because I'd like my daughter to have a relationship with him, but he's also said he can't afford to take care of his wife, step daughter, adopted son and two other biological daughters; let alone our daughter. Sigh...

What are mine and my daughter's rights? He has asked for my address. He's already received it several times. What are his rights, being that I have full legal and physical custody? I'm trying to do what's best for our daughter. I don't want to step on his rights as a father and I definitely don't want to allow him to come into her life just to turn around and disappoint her. As I was a ward of the court during my childhood, I am familiar with disappointment and the yo-yo relationships some parents can have with their children that do not live with them.

How far can he go with this? :confused:

Much thanks and appreciation.

I(f he wants visits you are required to allow them if there is an order. Keep in mind that dad's state still has jurisdiction and it would totally be within his right to ask that you pay for transportation to visits since you moved. There is nothing you can do to stop him from taking you to court. I suggest you work something out with him on visits since you moved. Also as a non custodial parent he is not required to use his visits.

He was ordered no visitation per his own request. The court granted it according to his request because he refused to work with a visitation schedule with myself and the mediator. And, I have never denied him visitation. In fact, I have always insisted that he have a relationship with her. So, from the sound of it, he has a right to entere and exit our daughters' life as often as he wants?

I re-read my first comment and I can see where it sounds as if I am leery for him to visit our daughter. That's not the case. I just want to be able to do the right thing. I don't feel that a child should be restricted to a relationship with just one parent. But I do believe it's best to protect her in the best way I can as a mom and still within the legal guidelines of all rights to her father. Most parents would be selfish in this situation I suppose.

If there is no set visitation schedule, then you do not have to allow visits but then Dad can always file for them in court.

Would you then say Duranie, I should give my daughter's father my address again? (Though I've given it to him several times AND his parents have it.) Or?? Because he has requested it and has mentioned he wants to file for 50/50 custody.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back