wrongfully terminated???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistermagoo

I was 'let go' at my place of employment at the end of last week. The reason given was that the 'new direction the company was heading, had no need for the position' I was hired for several months ago. Here are some points that have me concerned and may play a role in your responses (in no particular order):

1. Although my position was no longer in their plans, they brought in a new manager (one of many) for a position I could have done very easily. When I asked if there were any other positions I could work, they simply said 'no'. I even offered to accept a lower paying position or a position at one of their other locations, I received another negative response.
2. Prior to my termination, I recently filed a complaint about the incompetance of one of the other managers that was personally brought on the team by one of the companies owners. I also expressed my concern about another subpar employee.
3. When I received 'the talk,' I was told that as long as I don't talk to any of the other employees about the subject of me leaving, they would be able to provide a good reference. If I did speak to someone about the situation, they would be more than willing to mention that I was a trouble maker if they were asked, when any reference calls were made in my job search. They also brought up the word 'resign' several times during this meeting. I never resigned, nor did I sign anything saying I resigned. In fact nothing was signed.
4. I did receive one months severence pay and permission to stay in my on-sight apartment (which was part of my salary package) until 5/17/08, while I packed my belongings and searched for a job. But with the above comments made, I feal very uncomfortable in filing for unemployment. In fear that if I do file, I will be booted out of the apartment and be homeless and unemployed.
5.Since I accepted this job back in 9/07, new owners have taken over. This happened 3/1/08, and since then, no existing employee present at the transition has signed any paperwork for the new owners...except for W4 forms and direct deposit forms. In my lifetime, I have experienced takeovers several times, from both sides of the table. One of the first things that was done was to sign new paperwork for the new company/owner. Shortly after the new owners took over, we had a meeting. In this meeting we were all told they 'weren't here to fire anyone'. When I quoted this in my termination meeting, they said I wasn't fired, my position was being eliminated. But I feel that it is one in the same, especially when I was not considered for any other position within the company.

My question is......with all the above info, do I just shut up and keep looking for a new job, or do I file a complaint with the state?

Thanks for taking time in reading my posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back