Wrongful termination

Edith

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
I was "let go" recently for "scheduling issues " meaning I had certain hours I couldn't work due to having two people working and only one car, I had to be at my boyfriend's job at a certain time to get him. Is this legal?

Of course it is. Why on earth do you think the law would prohibit an employer from firing an employee who was unable to work the hours he needed the employee to work?

But they hired me knowing these things, and they said it would be fine, they have plenty of stores that have hours and now they suddenly have a problem with it?

That does not make it illegal. You asked if it was illegal. It is not.
Things may have changed, or perhaps they thought it would work out okay, but it didn't. We don't know why they've had this sudden change of heart, perhaps there is another reason they weren't happy with you and they are just using this reason. If it meant you keeping your job, then boyfriend could have found a ride home, waited for you to get off work, or he took the vehicle and picked you up, public transportation, etc. I'm just saying, you could have made sure you could work when they needed you, not expected the employer to adjust to your needs.

Edith, something for you to keep in mind for your next job.

Your employer asks for your availability as a courtesy, but there is no law, anywhere in the US, that requires him to stick to it. It is your responsibility to find a way to work the hours your employer wants you to work; it is not your employer's responsibility to work around your convenience. He may legally change your hours as his business needs require, and if his needs change and you can't work those hours, either you need to find a way to do it or he can, quite legally, let you go and find someone who can.

Of course it is legal - there is no law that makes it illegal. Sorry. Your employer can terminate you at any time for any reason except for a reason prohibited by law (ie religion, race, gender.....) or unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary.

Back