Wrongful Termination in NJ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapillonRose

My husband starting working for a construction company in NJ a little over a year ago. When he was interviewing for the job, he told his boss that he takes a week vacation the same week every year. His boss assured him that was fine, and he took the vacation shortly after being hired with no problems. This year, as the vacation week was approaching, he went to his boss and reminded him that he was taking his yearly vacation. His boss told him that if he took his vacation, he would be fired. My husband told him that the vacation was paid for, and that he would get back to him with an answer. Yesterday, my husband went to his boss and said that he did not want to stop working there, that he enjoyed his job very much, but that he was taking his vacation that his boss approved. His boss told him that he was fired, and that that was his last day. Is this a legal reason for letting someone go? He had approved the vacation, and then decided it wasn't ok.

Barring a bona fide and enforceable contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, an employer may legally rescind permission to take vacation.

A wrongful termination does not mean one that is unfair. It means that there exists a specific law which prohibits the employer from firing the employee for the reason he did. No such law exists; therefore, this was not a wrongful term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back