Wrongful Termination Claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

exminusoh

Last month, on the 19th, I started my first job at the Subway of Oak Hill (working night shift). I was told that the manager had a heartattack and was instructed by her doctor to only work 4 hours everyday so she had the other employees 'train' me.

Three days after I had started working they had me close the store by myself. I felt overwhelmed by all of the responsibility thrown at me so soon so my sister and her friend had come to help me sweep and mop - simple things to make my first experience less stressful on me.The friend had been drinking but she wasn't acting out of control or anything, otherwise, I would have asked her to leave. I was told by every girl there that they had done the same thing so I feared nothing. -- NOTE that my grandmother and mother-in-law were in the parking lot where they could see everything that was going on inside the store.

Just two or three days later, one of the girls on day shift (Nena) pulled me in the back and told me that a man had come in and asked to speak to the manager. She told me that she lied to the man, saying that the manager was not there but she really was. She said that the man proceeded to say that the blonde girl on night shift (me) had girls on top of the tables dancing. I told her that it was a false statement and that my sister and her friend had come to help me clean up the store - the truth! Nena then told me that regardless she was just 'looking out for me' and that she was the only person that knew.

Eighteen days later, Sept. 10, I had just clocked in when the manager asked me to accompany her to her office so I did. First, she asked me about the security cameras. Supposedly someone had faced them up towards the ceiling. I told her that I knew nothing about them, which I didn't. I didn't even know there was more than one until she told me. Then, she said that she knew about the 'two girls stripping on the tables." She then told me that two women had come in and told her that I had two girls on the tables stripping for me and that they were never going to eat there again. I told her, No, that there were not two girls 'stripping' on the tables and before I could say another word she stood up, got in my face, and said, "THAT'S IT, JEANNA -- You lied to me. Had you not you would have been able to keep your job but you can't. Grab your things and clock out."

I didn't know what else to do but what she said. I guess they would say I worked 'at-will' because there was no contract stateing the boundries on which she could fire me but I do not believe it is legal to accuse me of lying, fire me, slander my name, my sister's name, and her friend's name

I'm going to the labor board tomorrow to file a Wrongful Termination Claim - and I would appreciate others' opinions on this topic because I'm 18 years old, that was my first job - I'm new to all of this.

Thank You.

Well, you might have been given a copy of the employee agreement or policy………….if any. If the manager gave you that, it would make it harder for you to succeed. She would claim she did not fire just for a lie, but for the fact that you let in non employees into the store after hours and let they used company equipments, and had access to the subway store. That is good enough to justify firing you. If she was aware and gave you permission to bring people in for help………….you would have had a better chance. You are honest but……………they would not accept they fired you just for lying without evidence to prove you are lying ……….they would claim violation of employee policy….leaving non employees into store…..So be ready…………..Good luck! Some of those labor boards findings and abitration are non binding............Be sure to check.

I just don't need them slandering my name! I am not letting them get away with it! & Accusing me of lying.

"a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report: a slander against his good name. "

That is slander.

That is what I described.

No, it isn't.

No knowingly false statements have been made about you to a third party; you have suffered no damages as a result of such a statement.

If they honestly believe you are lying, they are entitled to say so. Simply believing that you are lying is neither slander, defamation, nor illegal.

They're are trying to say that MY own sister and her friend were for stripping for me. That I HAD my sister and her friend strip for me! THAT is slandering my good name.

& if I seek another job and they ask my previous employer about me they can tell them that I was fired because I had strippers come strip for me on night shift. I don't need anyone to think that about me.

Last edited:
Fine. Then call a lawyer and tell him you want to sue someone because they think you are lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back