wrongful termination and paid bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandkids

I was terminated 2 days before the election because I sent and email joke saying vote after all it is called the white house. Everyone including coworkers said firing me was to harsh they should have giving me a warning or a suspension. Do I have any legal recourse. Also my department earned a bonus and that was paid on the check I recieved after I was terminated and then was told it would be taken back out of my finally paycheck along with insurance premiums. Can they legally take back a bonus that was earned prior to my termination.

This was not even close to a wrongful termination. A wrongful termination does not mean one that was unfair, unjust, unexpected, too harsh, or even one that was for something you didn't do. It means that a specific law exists which prohibits your employer from firing you for the reason they did. That is not the case here. Whether or not it was "too harsh" it was legal and your only legal recourse is to file for unemployment.

As for the bonus, that is going to be determined entirely by the bonus agreeement. It is not addressed directly by law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back