wrongful or not?

S

snwright42

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
I have been employed for Wal-mart since 07/23/16, I reported to work on 12/29/16 sick, I had been to the ER early that morning was diagnosed with a severe ear infection. I had been warned the day before by my supervisor that I had 3.5 points and couldn't be late or miss another day. So I reported to work on 12/29/16 sick face all wrapped up trying to keep the cold out of my ear because I was already in pain, I am the grocery support manager or was. I was waiting on the pharmacy to fill my perscriptions so I could start taking them and hope I would feel better while I worked but the pain became unbearable and I had to go home. I told my supervisor that I needed to go home and she said go ahead and take care of yourself, I went in the office and talked to personnel who informed me that I should call Sedgwick and see if I could get leave to cover my day so I did and they informed me that they couldn't because I initially went to work on Thursday. On Friday morning I called them and put in for my leave was instructed by the claimant whom I spoke with to call my store and call out as a leave of absence so I did that as well. I was waiting on the company Sedgwick to get back to me with the paperwork that they told me to print off and take back to the ER to get filled out but instead on 01/03/17 I received an email from them letting me know that URGENT ATTENTION REQUIRED!!!. I was informed by them that Wal-mart terminated me on 12/29/16 the same day I called in my leave. I just want to know if this is legal, I have people saying that it is not legal. I don't want my job back to much favoritism and lack of good management.

Yes, it is legal.

You had not been with them long enough to qualify for any protected medical leave which means that they didn't have to allow you any time at all. You'd evidently already missed enough time to be on a final warning. The fact that you may have received conflicting information does not make it illegal.

Good management? Maybe not. Illegal? Sorry, but not even close.

Sorry but legal. Your employer can terminate you at any time for any reason except for a reason prohibited by law such as religion, gender, race......or unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary. No job protected leave applies in your case.

Back