1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

written termination

Discussion in 'Termination: Firing & Resignation' started by Hector Gutierrez, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Hector Gutierrez

Hector Gutierrez Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Arizona
    Does a company have to give you a written notice of termination?

2. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

No, there is no such requirement in Arizona.

3. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

Agreed.

4. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

No. Any reason you thought the answer might be otherwise?

5. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

You would be amazed. There are many people that think such things must be in writing. And certain state agencies and even more non-state agencies (think rental assistance programs) regularly fan the fire of that incorrect belief.

I can't count how many times I've had terminated employees tell me that so and so told them I was required to provide a written document that I had terminated them. My answer was always I will when I receive the UI claim notice from the state and I will be giving it to the state.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    cynthiag and army judge like this.
  6. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

There is a very small handful of states where, upon the employee's WRITTEN request and usually within a very short time window, the employer is required to provide a "service letter" which provides, among other things, the dates of employment and the reason for the termination. Arizona is not one of those states. Neither is mine; neither is PayrollDude's, and if zddoodah is in the state I have always believed him to be in, it is only required there in very limited circumstances for public utility employees only (or at least that was the case when I last was managing employees in that state). I am aware of it only because at a former employer, we had a plant in one of the states where such letters are required for most employees (assuming the written request is made within the appropriate window), and where a large percentage of our employee population were foreign nationals from a country where services letters had a great deal more import than they do here.

PayrollHRGuy and hrforme like this.