written offer rescinded

Status
Not open for further replies.

mav_

I currently work in Alabama. My employer (company "X") is a subcontractor to another company (company "Y"). Company "Y" offered me a job in writing in the state of Washington which I accepted, and tendered my resignation to company "X". There was not an "out" clause saying they could rescind the offer at any time.

As I was working through the relocation (the movers were scheduled, I had a start date), I had issues with them and decided to take it to their corporate offices. The HR manager for the local office called and told me that they were rescinding the offer. He stated that I should not have taken the issues to the people I took them to and I was not the kind of person they wanted.

This was all one week prior to my last day at my current job. Now my current place of employment is saying that they are holding me to my resignation, which leaves me unemployed and hurting.

I have a written offer from company "Y" and I did not violate anything, nor did I fail to meet any requirement. Can I sue? What can I sue for? In which state do I file?

Also, I have written to my existing company (company "X") asking them to reconsider my resignation. Even if they do, I missed my annual merit increase, which they tried to use as a tool to keep me where I am. Can I sue for that even if I get my old job back?

The really hard part here is that my current employer is a subcontract to the company that rescinded the offer and there is a good chance that I am going to find the short end of the stick no matter what.

Help!!!

Correction!!!

Sorry! The job was in Oregon. I was relocating to Washington (they pay more if you live in WA). Sorry for the confusion.

-mav

Did your written offer include an employment contract with a specific duration, or were you offered the position as an at-will employee (terminable with or without cause, by either party, at any time)?

It depends on the wording of the letter. There probably is something in there that allows them to rescind the offer for whatever reason.

If there is not, it is really unclear if they have broken any laws. In most states they can fire you for any reason, or rescind the offer. If you irritated somebody by going to HR, that could have been enough to do this.

I do not really see that you have a claim.

Your old company does not have to take you back, or start you off in pay where you left off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back