Worthless baby father...can he do that??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristi1

I live in Florida and the father of my 3 year old daughter lives in Connecticut, he was arrested one month into my pregnancy and has only seen our daughter one time, when I brought her up to meet him. I have finally got Child Support Papers going and he has been served. He now wants to give up his parental rights to avoid paying child support....can he do that?? Any help would be great.

Yes, he can try to give up his rights. In the end, a court will decide.

If he is successful, consider yourself lucky. Do you want a criminal and a deadbeat helping you parent your child?

I know you are right it just makes me angry that he gets to decide if he wants to help support her. It should be mandatory!!

He may not be allowed to terminate his rights. It is up to the court. If you object, be there and fight it. It may not matter if he ends up in prison for several years.

In the end, you picked this bum. But, not to worry. Most people don't get away that easily. The fact that the state is involved, they'll fight him.

But if he's in prison, he couldn't pay if he wanted to pay. He'll still owe, but try to collect. If he gets out, he'll have some low paying job (or maybe no job), so don't expect too much anyway!!!

Last edited:
Neither FL nor CT allows a parent to voluntarily terminate their parental rights against the other parent's wishes.

So no - he can't do this. He can choose to terminate custodial and visitation rights, but this absolutely does NOT absolve him of his financial obligations. ;)

Fear not, OP. He can't do what he thinks he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back