Worth a fighting chance?

Okay the 250k cap does need to be increased in CA. By the time you add in the necessary medical experts necessary to litigate these cases you are indeed in the 300+k case range. I would also like to see any attorney malpractice case that only takes 1/3rd of the settlement as a fee. Most all of them will haul a good 40+ percent.

Okay the 250k cap does need to be increased in CA. By the time you add in the necessary medical experts necessary to litigate these cases you are indeed in the 300+k case range.

Not 300K+ in costs. I explained why earlier. The average med mal judgment/settlement is $300K+, though, and that may be the figure that is stuck in your head. But there is a big difference between the attorney's fees and costs and the total judgment/settlement.

I would also like to see any attorney malpractice case that only takes 1/3rd of the settlement as a fee. Most all of them will haul a good 40+ percent.

The typical practice varies from place to place. Where I am, if the case settles before trial, the typical contingent fee is 33%. Some lawyers increase that to 40% if the case goes to trial and/or goes to appeals. Given that well over 90% of the cases do settle, that means that most fees here do end up being 33%.

Back