Worried about future

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheekyMo

- Me and boyfriend have been living together 3 yrs
- boyfriend recently bought a house (without me), used inheritance for down payment and didn't want me involved. I couldn't afford one.
- I pay half the payments/costs mortgage, bills cost of living
- he didn't want me on the title, mortgage etc.
- we are common law

I need to know what I need to do to cover my bases, and invest in my future, if he won't allow me on any papers etc. I don't know what to do, and worried. He seems to only worried about his/his kids future.

Thanks,
CheekyMo

You have good reasons to be worried. First of all, "common law marriage" is a concept that is not recognized in most states. Even in those few states that still recognize it, merely living together does not create a "marriage" and rights based upon that. Therefore, it could very well be that in the eyes of the law you are not married at all.

That of course has repercussions on any property held by one of you two. It could well be that you are paying but will not have any claims on the property, that your payments basically are like rent payments.

To figure out your rights you should consult an attorney and have him or her evaluate your situation. It depends on a lot of details, therefore we cannot do that here in the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back