workplace violence

S

Sabrina79

Jurisdiction
Hawaii
I was assaulted at work by a fellow co-worker. I immediately reported it to my owner. The assault was recorded on the video cameras inside workplace. The owner did not take any corrective action towards my co-worker. I, on the other hand, was taken off the particular shift we work together. No suspensions were issued toward either party. What should I do?

I was assaulted at work by a fellow co-worker. I immediately reported it to my owner. The assault was recorded on the video cameras inside workplace. The owner did not take any corrective action towards my co-worker. I, on the other hand, was taken off the particular shift we work together. No suspensions were issued toward either party. What should I do?

Nothing you can do, except take it.
You could quit.
You could forget it.
You could sue the other party.

It's never wise to get involved in physical altercations.
Your experience is one of the reasons why conflict can bring one great pain.

If you are ever assaulted at work again, call the police.

The other employee was not fired or suspended; that does not mean that no action at all was taken. Unless you work in HR AND have access to everyone's personnel file, you really don't know whether any action was taken or not; you only know that no PUBLIC action was taken. And honestly, you do not have a right under the law to know. And isn't it better that you're no longer working with that person?

What action are you looking to take? You are welcome to contact law enforcement and file a report. They may or may not act on it.

You could quit.
You could forget it.

You could quit.
You could forget it.

The other employee was not fired or suspended; that does not mean that no action at all was taken. Unless you work in HR AND have access to everyone's personnel file, you really don't know whether any action was taken or not; you only know that no PUBLIC action was taken. And honestly, you do not have a right under the law to know. And isn't it better that you're no longer working with that person?

small privately owned business, owner only, no human resources departmet, basically owner and 8-10 employees. i know for fact no action was taken. Co-worker didnt lose anytime or money, I one the other hand did.

I want to sue my co-worker for emotional distress and lost wages.

If you sue in small claims, you can't recover for the common law tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress.

You can bring a small claims lawsuit for loss of wages.

You can't recover from the other employee.

Why?

The other employee didn't deny you income.

Your employer imposed that penalty upon you.

You can sue your employer.

I only see you losing that lawsuit and your job.

Your best remedy is to seek new employment ASAP.

Back