Workplace safety & hazards

BobM

Jurisdiction
Illinois
My employer in Illinois is undertaking a remodeling project using friends of friends to do the work, and without permits. They are knocking down cement block walls, installing new plumbing, electrical, etc. and are creating a huge mess and taking much longer than this needs to be. It is an old building - 60 plus years - with mold problems and who knows what else is being dispersed throughout the place.
I have mold and dust allergies and they are letting me work remotely, but my fear is that if I make too much of a stink about this, they'll simply get rid of the problem - i.e. Me.
What protections or recourse do I have??

Thanks in advance...

Bob

You could call the city building permit or code department and call OSHA as well.

Making an official complaint gives you a cause of action for monetary damages due to wrongful termination for whistle blowing.

Otherwise, it's unemployment compensation if they figure out it's you and fire you.

See the following article about Illinois whistleblower protection.

Filing a Whistleblower or Retaliation Claim - Illinois (workplacefairness.org)

I have mold and dust allergies and they are letting me work remotely, but my fear is that if I make too much of a stink about this, they'll simply get rid of the problem - i.e. Me.
What protections or recourse do I have??

Employees are expendable.

Employers dislike whistleblowers, snitches, tattle tales, and rats.

You're no dummy.

I think you're clever enough to understand what happens to those who snitch on BIG BOSS, BIG MAM, or BIG SIR.

What you do, choose not to do, determines how much chaos enters your life.

Its never too late to seek another employment situation, if the one you're in gets stormy.

Back