Workplace harrassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAURAYE

The state or country I am talking about is: Montana

I work at a tractor dealership with a man who has earned a reputation for harrassing women. The bookkeeper quit because of him. The service writer threatened to, and 2 other women complained constantly about him; and they were both fired.

He actually told one of the parts men that he was going to "get" the bookkeeper, and bragged about her leaving for a year after she quit.

I am his next target. He has his son calling me constantly on the phone (I am the receptionist) and hanging up on me. This was happening 5 or 6 times a day. Plus the phone calls where he asked for his father, and they laugh together about it, while "Pat" gives him an "at-a-boy". This can happen 2 or 3 times in a row.

I can trace the calls using star 69. What I want to know is if it is illeagle. I *69 all Pats calls from his son now to try and back trace all the hang up calls I get all day.

Pat has told many lies about me, many of which I have disproved. I have given the owner a seven page letter about this man, and everything seems to be at a stalemate.

Please advise.

Whether this is illegal depends on whether this man has targeted you these other employees for this behavior BECAUSE of their gender. If he just gets his jollies by being an obnoxious jerk and gender is irrelevant, then it's not prohibited discrimination.

You also need to explain further what behavior he has engaged in towards these other female employees that you deem "harassment" and what types of lies he's told about you. Lastly, how many individuals are employed at this tractor dealership?

Harrassment issue

He went to the owner and told him there were complaints about my attitude. That I was unfriendly and unapproachable. He also claimed I did not take phone messages from customers. He accused me of re-arranging the salesmans filing cabinets to suit my needs, and screw them up so they could not find anything.

His harrassment is constant, but always little sneaky, rotten comments and inuendo.
His target here is the women, but your right, he gets his jollies out of harrassing waiters and waitresses too. One of the first things he told me about himself was that he likes to "challange" wait staff.

He also hates "blue collar workers". I have heard him treat the mechanics here with incredible disrespect. I clean the building at night, so he started trrowing his coffee in his garbage can, and trash on the floor.

He is a bigot, a bully and a rude little man.

There are about 30 employees here.
Nobody likes to get specific about what he said or did, just that he is Very Good at making life miserable for anybody he targets. Everybody here stood up for me when I finially went to management about him.

He is a bigot, a bully and a rude little man. He's a miserable excuse for a human being but that's not unlawful. Since he's not singling out anyone for this treatment because of their membership in a protected class (age, race, gender, religion, etc.), then nothing he's doing is prohibited by any employment or discrimination laws. It's not against the law to be a world class jerk.

As long as the owner is willing to tolerate his behavior and the on-going turnover of staff who quit rather than continue to work with him, then that's just the way it's going to be. It's a stupid business decision (turnover is very expensive) but apparently that's a cost the owner is willing to bear.

I suggest you update your resume and start looking for a new job. You cannot force the owner to do something about this man as no laws compel him to do so.

Working with losers

Dear Beth, I thank you for your input. I have no intention of leaving this job. The creep has been warned off, and I keep Very good notes now. It is his nature to harrass and torment, and this is not over. As for his greasy son, the University was ready to slap a stalking warning on him, which I have stopped. As long as they leave me out out of their miserable way of life we will get along. I am very careful and discreet with my notes and never leave them where anyone can see them. I'll keep you posted. Lauraye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back