1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Working full time hours but still receiving part time benefits

Discussion in 'Employee Benefits, Pensions' started by Kim Wooten, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Kim Wooten

Kim Wooten Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Florida
    I want to know is it legal for my job to have me working full time hours but still only receiving part time benefits. And if it's illegal why can't I do anything about it or get answers. Employees hand book says 30 hrs a week or more is full time.

Example:
    My co worker is fulltime, but works same job, same team and same hours. Earns 80 hrs pto, 8 paid holidays and a floating holiday. Also more benefits offered that are cheaper.

I...work full time hours and have been coded as part time and receive only 40 hrs pto and my benefits are less and cost more.
    Again, same team, same job, same company.

2. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

How long have you been working full time hours and how long is it anticipated to continue?

hrforme likes this.
  3. Kim Wooten

Scheduled full time permanently since about October.

4. flyingron

flyingron Well-Known Member

How many employees in this company? Frankly, other than discriminating against you for protective reasons (race, religion, etc. ..), employers are allowed to treat employees differently. There's no obligation to extend PTO/vacation etc... on the same basis to everybody absent something else (CBU, job contract) to the contrary. About the only thing that is mandated is health insurance once you work more than 30 hours, if the company has more than 50 employees.

5. Kim Wooten

They have hundreds of thousands of employees and the employee handbook states employees that work 30 hrs or more per week are considered full time and are eligible for full time benefits.

6. hrforme

hrforme Active Member

cbg's question though is a good one. ACA (health insurance mandate for FT employees) has some eligibility/measurement/lookback periods. I suggest OP ask HR what the employer has . defined those as. And make sure HR has OP's eligibility properly coded ....

In the end the employer can have different classes, but might owe a fine under ACA if they fail to cover OP.

7. Kim Wooten

OP? Sorry unfamiliar.

8. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

OP - Original Poster - You.

Kim Wooten likes this.