working abroad with no job description change

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinklestar

I have been working abroad for 6 months now for my company. This is not my job description. I have now told them that i no longer want to do this. Where do i stand with my rights. My employer is saying that it is this or nothing. I dont get any staying away money or anything to entice me into doing this. I would just like to come back and work from home. Can anyone advise me on the rights that i have?

Last edited:
You have the right to find a job that is more to your liking.

Barring a legally binding contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, a "job description" has no force in law. Basically, your job description is whatever your boss says it is. Your duties can be changed, with or without your permission, to whatever the company needs you to do and as long as it is not illegal or unsafe by OSHA standards, that becomes your job description. If your employer needs you to work abroad, then you work abroad or find a new job that will allow you to work in the US.

The only way that this can become a matter of employment law is whether or not the company unilaterally changes the original job description so much and makes it so onerous as to compell a person with ordinary common sense and prudence to quit the position. However, it HAS to be unbearable, not just dislikable, and you have to exhaust all other alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back