Won't give back my deposit. Extenuating Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotwake22

I live in upstate NY and was signed up to take a class out of state (NH). I put down a $500 deposit, and then paid the balance prior to the course start date. As I was driving the 8 hours from my home to the site of the course, my car's transmission failed, leaving me stranded 5 hours from my destination with $2500 in car repairs. The business offering the training refuses to refund my deposit, instead offering me a credit to a future course at their campus. I'm moving to California next year, and will not have the opportunity to take a 3 week long course at their facility.

Do I have a case at small claims court for my deposit? Can I file it in my town, where I made the phone call to authorize the charging of my credit card? They conduct courses in my home state at sponsors' facilities.

Thanks for any advice!

Sadly, no. Although it sounds like they have already agreed to transfer the deposit (or the whole cost) to another course of your selection.

You *might* be entitled to relief from forfeiture - some jurisdictions statutes (such as a Law and Equity Act) which gives a court the power to order the other party to give your deposit back, in certain circumstances. I don't know whether New York has a such a thing, and I suspect you don't fit the criteria. (Typically the deposit has to be "penal" in nature, and I see no indication this is.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back