Window salesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsconley

Hello,

Several weeks ago my husband and I had a man out to give us an estimate for new windows for our home. The price was really high, but we were put on the spot, and actually we weren't sure what was normal for a price as we've never bought windows before. So we signed paperwork to get financing and he said he would get back to us.
The next day I spoke to a friend of mine about how much her new windows cost her and it was less than 1/2 of what we were quoted (different company). So I tell my husband we need to wait and get a few more estimates. So my husband called the salesman who had been at our house on the 2nd day after we met with him. My husband told him we were not going to be able to afford to do the windows right now and that we would have to wait for summer or later to do it. He told my husband he had already put in the paperwork so why don't we see what they come back with for financing and he'll let us know. He then sent someone out to measure our windows in the meantime. He is know telling us that if they have already ordered the windows, than we have to buy them. Is this true? It's almost as though he's pretending to not hear us when we tell him we cannot afford to do it right now. He talked to my husband again last night and my husband reiterated again that we could not afford to do it right now, to which salesman responded by saying he was going to have to check and see how far the process has moved and would get back to us. Oh, and he made sure to tell my husband that we wouldn't have any payments due for 3 months, pressuring him again to allow him to come over with paperwork for financing.

Can I tell this guy that he better stop harassing us or are we bound by this since we didn't cancel in writing?

Have you and/or your husband actually signed a contract to purchase the windows from this company, or did you only fill-out the paperwork to apply for credit to purchase them? From my understanding of your post, it doesn't appear that you signed a legally-binding contract, but please correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, tell this salesperson to take a hike and stop wasting his time. Also, I'd send a letter (via Certified Mail) to the CEO of the company to notify him/her of this salesperson's unethical sales tactics in order to hopefully prevent him from preying on other victims. I would also threaten to report the company to the BBB if this salesperson is not reprimanded for his actions.

I am very familiar with your situation. Sounds like you did sign a legally binding contract. No good sales person is going have you sign finaceing paperwork and not have you comitt to the company and the price. This is how the sales person gets paid. You have 3 legal business days (Saturdays count in most states) to cancel. This has to be done by mail, fax, or email. Verbal cancelation do not count and do not hold up in a court of law. The sales person made promises that their product will do certain things, you agreed on terms, conditions and a price. In my opinion it would not be ethical to complain to the BBB unless the sales person lied or the job is not installed as said. The neighbor getting cheaper windows from another company might create buyers remorse but on a side note windows can cost anywhere from $80. to $1,500. apiece for a regular size window. A window from a good company with a high qualily window will usually cost $700. to $1,200. apiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back