Will not being honored by 3 of 4 kids (in PA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker12

My father's parents passed away about 3 years ago. In their will, it stated plain as day that their Estate—their house—is to be sold, and divided up four ways equally between the four children.
The problem is: Dad's three sisters do not want to sell the house and are doing anything they can to hold onto it, and delay the sale. They won't even discuss it with my father, who wants his share of the inheritance. It's 3 against 1, and my dad is just taking a defeatist attitude. I'm trying to encourage him to seek legal advice in this matter, and maybe even get them to buy out his quarter of the house (so to speak).
Is there anything that he can do about this?

Also, is there a time limit to where the will needs to be honored by? Will it be considered null and void after a certain date?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

~Seeker12

Who is the executor? It's his/her job to distribute the assets. Your father can likely bring a court application for distribution of the proceeds - i.e. force a sale or a buyout - if it comes to it.

Is this will being probated?

Well, my father and one of his sisters are co-executors. thank you dee_dum, and I'll pass this information onto him.

And, Seniorjudge, I think it might have been in probate but I'm not sure now...
I will have to ask my father.

Thanks to both of you for replying :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back