Will I get reimbursed for paying for a funeral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman2013

How are you?

My grandmother passed back in April and left my uncle as the executor of her will. She left a number of things behind that was put into her estate(or supposed to be). She had a home that she stated she wanted to be sold and she had a 17,000 truck that she said was to be sold and split between her children she left behind. She also left a policy to my mother, which she used to pay for her 10,000 funeral. My uncle, instead of putting the truck in the estate, took it upon himself and gifted the 17,000 truck to my aunt. He also let my other aunt and my other uncle stay in my grandmothers home, free of rent, all while ignoring the fact that my mother still hasn't been paid back for the funeral. Now that the truck is gone from the estate and the home is about to be owned by the bank(she owed alot of money on it still) he claims that there is nomore money in the estate to pay back my mother for using her money to pay for the funeral. Can my mother take this to civil court to sue my uncle since he gifted a 17,000 vehicle and failed to charge any rent from my aunt and my other uncle while staying in my grandmothers home? Its a long story and we all believe he purposely took everything out of the estate to not pay my mother back for the funeral out of spite. Did he handle the estate correctly? Was he not supposed to put the 17,000 truck into the estate to pay off bills instead of taking it upon himself to give it to whichever family member he wanted to give it to?

Unless there was an agreement made that others would reimburse the funeral costs there isn't much to work with.
The funeral costs should have come from the estate, but your mother did not have to take it upon herself to pay on her own.

Understandable, but the policy she left my money was the only money that there was to pay for her funeral. I feel that my uncle didn't execute the will properly therefore she should be able to sue him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back