Will a dismissed felony charge in ohio affect my potential employement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanw99

Hello,

I am currently having an investigative consumer report conducted on my behalf by a third party hired from a local bank. In 2006 I was falsely accused of sexual assault and the case was dismissed. I was proven innocent. The charge is still on my public record, but again, it is listed as dismissed.
My question is, due to this dismissed charge, will this affect my employment opportunity with said local bank?

Thank you for your time.

Hello,

I am currently having an investigative consumer report conducted on my behalf by a third party hired from a local bank. In 2006 I was falsely accused of sexual assault and the case was dismissed. I was proven innocent. The charge is still on my public record, but again, it is listed as dismissed.
My question is, due to this dismissed charge, will this affect my employment opportunity with said local bank?

Thank you for your time.

Your information, regarding your legal proceeding, is confusing.

You say that you were proven innocent.

Innocence is not an outcome to be proven in the US court system.

If you meant you were cleared by a trial, the best result would be a NOT GUILTY verdict.

But, you conflict that by saying the charge was dismissed.

If the charge was dismissed, you weren't cleared.

Your guilt wasn't or couldn't be proven, but that wasn't a NOT GUILTY verdict.

Hence, your arrest will continue to be revealed.

That said, an arrest record shouldn't bar you from being employed.

Employers are not allowed to inquire as to arrests, just convictions.

Will you get the job, who knows.

Employers don't have to tell you why they decide not hire you.

I suppose you'll just have to await their decision.

Good luck.

Thank you army judge.

The case did go to trial and after the prosecution made its case, i was found not guilty (i thought not guilty and proven innocent were the same thing, oops). There is still the lingering charge on my record, but as you say, employers are only allowed to take into consideration convictions, not charges; this makes me feel much better. Again, I thank you.
One last thing. To clarify, a guilty verdict of no operators license is an offense and not a criminal charge, yes? In other words I did not have to state this when asked if I have ever been convicted of any crimes other than minor traffic offenses?

Thank you army judge.

The case did go to trial and after the prosecution made its case, i was found not guilty (i thought not guilty and proven innocent were the same thing, oops). There is still the lingering charge on my record, but as you say, employers are only allowed to take into consideration convictions, not charges; this makes me feel much better. Again, I thank you.
One last thing. To clarify, a guilty verdict of no operators license is an offense and not a criminal charge, yes? In other words I did not have to state this when asked if I have ever been convicted of any crimes other than minor traffic offenses?

A violation relating to an operator's license would be a minor traffic violation (given the facts you supply).
Such a situation would be addressed by a traffic citation, thereby making it exempt under the verbiage above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back