wifes new income

Status
Not open for further replies.

motheringa

My daughters father has been married to his current wife since before our daughter was born. His current wife has been in college since they got married but has since graduated and is now working as an RN making over $50,000 per year. He currently only pays $72 per week. Since his financial situation has drastically changed can I get part of his wife's income now? I have read in some places that you can and in some places that you can't. And I don't mean for part of it to come out of her check, I know it doesn't work that way but is it possible for him to have to pay more due to the substantially more amount of household income?

Last edited:
Nope. In almost any state his wife's income is not included. Why should it be? she is not responsible for supporting kids that are not hers, only you and the father are responsible for doing that. And how do you even know her income? Dad is required to pay child support based on his income and yours. Now, her income is not used BUT it may increase Dad's disposable income since he has a 2 income household, that MIGHT change your CS slightly but you would haev to ask an attorney that.

No that is her income and she doesn't owe you anything. It is not her child its yours and her husbands, be thankful he is paying child support. It sounds as if you are money hungry, go out and get a job and stop trying to live off your baby daddy's wife. Its not her problem its yours.

I am not money hungry. Her loser of a father is in and out of her life and comes and goes as he pleases. My husband makes good money and I stay home with my children becuase one of them has serious health problems so before you start telling people to go out and get a job and that they are money hungry you need to know the full situation first. The only reason that I even asked is becuase he made very good money before he had to start paying child support and as soon as he found out he would have to pay he has gone from minumum wage job to minimum wage job just becuase he knew his wife would be making good money and he didn't have to. He is a low-life that cares nothing about his child and the only reason that he even gets her is becuase his wife makes him.

I am sorry for what I said. I am just stressed, and my husband already pays support to his mom, and I am not a bitter step mother. We love all our kids the same we have four wonderful children and my husband works hard and makes good money and I too am a stay at home mom. I just wish I could have my step children here, because all of this is destroying them. If we could go back in time we would of took them, but we thought we were doing what was right.

its okay. I think everybody is stressed right now. I hope you get things worked out with your step-children. The only reason that I even want to get part of what she makes is that money is all he cares about. he makes less than 20k per year but they have a new house and two new cars, but he refuses to pay his half of the childs medical bills and such. He won't allow me to put her on decent health care because since I don't work she technically qualifies for govt health care which is a joke and he doesn't want to pay half of the premiums for decent healthcare. He had not seen her in over four months and was going to sign his rights over and allow my husband to adopt her and changed his mind because I was going to allow his mother to continue to see her. I just want to hit him with the only thing he cares about becuase it is def not our daughter.

You may gain some traction with the health insurance issue by adding that to the support amount in a CS modification, which the state could then help you collect. Also, if she's a nurse and they are married, the child may qualify to go on her insurance which should be checked out.

You need to google your states guidelines becuase if he is voluntarily underemployed and took a lower paying job, then that should have been taken into consideration when CS was determined. Did you have an attorney at all? How long has this order been in place? Most states have guidelines to go by and taking a much lower paying job to get out of CS is not acceptable. You will have to prove though that he is voluntarily underemployed. It might be worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back