Wife Sued for Consumer Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug_R

Last Night my wife was served with a Small Claims Court Citation that she has been sued in small claims court for a credit account at a local furniture store. It states that if she or her attorney does not file an answer with the court which issued the citation at or before 10:00am on the Monday next after expiration of ten days from the date of service of this citation and petition, a default judgement may be taken against her. It goes on to say that she can have this case heard by a jury by making a demand to the court and depositing a jury fee of 5$ not less than one day in advance of the date set for trial.

We recognize the debt and agree we owe, but just have not been able to pay it. We have had to put all resources to saving our home.

We would like to know what this lawsuit means, and we aknowledge there could be more. Could my wife be arrested? What action should we take from here?

Last Night my wife was served with a Small Claims Court Citation that she has been sued in small claims court for a credit account at a local furniture store. It states that if she or her attorney does not file an answer with the court which issued the citation at or before 10:00am on the Monday next after expiration of ten days from the date of service of this citation and petition, a default judgement may be taken against her. It goes on to say that she can have this case heard by a jury by making a demand to the court and depositing a jury fee of 5$ not less than one day in advance of the date set for trial.

We recognize the debt and agree we owe, but just have not been able to pay it. We have had to put all resources to saving our home.

We would like to know what this lawsuit means, and we aknowledge there could be more. Could my wife be arrested? What action should we take from here?

This lawsuit means that if your wife does not pay up the debt, the plaintiff is entitled to recover the dollars owed as ordered by the court all at once. If she doesn't pay and all the efforts have been exhausted by the plaintiff to collect the judgement, then a lien can be put against your house and you definitely don't want that to happen! Call the furniture store and negotiate with them prior to going to court. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back