Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Wife Hit Head on By Drunk

N

NokiaFan

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
My wife got hit head on by a drunk driver less than a year ago and we hired a lawyer and it is all being taken care of and my wife and I are not going after the family for money but just that everything gets paid for that she caused to happen.

There was a passenger in the car and she shattered her femer in a couple different places while seeing fractions in multiple of places and cuts and bruises everywhere. ( Hospitalized for 2-3 months) she had to be flown to a neighboring city to treat. In the accidents the passenger had to be cut out of the car because the metal was wrapped around her thigh. Every one is okay now except the passenger has still been in PT and still not for sure if she will every walk correctly again. (she is walking now but with a cane, and the structure does not move like it used to)

My wife the driver is okay, other than PTSD. She cant drive at night safely anymore because she gets extremely scared going around long swooping corners at night and breaks into a cry/terror.

The drunk driver blew a .27 and got away with just a couple of bruises... I wanted to know what normally happens to someone who should have killed the passenger in the car if it wasn't for luck.

What happens in a scenario where the punishment is light, normal, and heavy?

I wanted to know what normally happens to someone who should have killed the passenger in the car if it wasn't for luck.

Many things can, and often do happen, including NOTHING, occasionally.

You'll just have to keep in contact with your lawyer and wait patiently while the legal process grinds out its sausage, known as JUSTICE.

Generally the drunk driver usually walks away barely unscathed. That's normal - because they're intoxicated and they don't react the way the sober people do. They don't tense up or any of that. It sucks but generally that's what happens.

The drunk driver gets punished based on whatever charge he gets convicted on. Sometimes it doesn't seem like the punishment fits the crime in any case. Just depends on the process.

Be glad there are more laws about drunk driving now then there were when my uncle got killed in 79. He had just graduated high school two weeks prior. He and three friends were driving around after work one night. Get plowed into by a drunk 16 year old. All of them died. The driver got like two years probation I was told (I never met my uncle I was born a few years later) because there weren't many drunk driving laws at the time. Later on he wrote my grandpa a letter apologizing - but what good does that do? My uncle died five months after my grandma died from cancer too...

My dad said he ended up working with that guy several years ago he told me recently. I'm not sure if he knew my dad used to be married to my mom but probably not. Probably awkward for my dad though.

As stated above, the law will treat the drunk driver as enacted. That is a ridiculously high BAC and the driver could be charged with increased penalties for DUI. We don't know whether the driver was a first offender or repeat offender with multiple DUIs, which are usually a primary factor for determining the degree of a DUI offense and the resulting penalties in a criminal prosecution. The civil case for personal injuries suffered are a completely separate matter.

I'm sorry to hear stories like the ones from @leslie82 . Unfortunately this country doesn't take drunk driving as seriously as it should. That isn't to say it's better in other places. In the European Union it's shocking to me that the average petrol station could rival the local liquor store. I never understood why this was acceptable and not limited by law.

My wife got hit head on by a drunk driver less than a year ago and we hired a lawyer and it is all being taken care of and my wife and I are not going after the family for money but just that everything gets paid for that she caused to happen.

There was a passenger in the car and she shattered her femer in a couple different places while seeing fractions in multiple of places and cuts and bruises everywhere. ( Hospitalized for 2-3 months) she had to be flown to a neighboring city to treat. In the accidents the passenger had to be cut out of the car because the metal was wrapped around her thigh. Every one is okay now except the passenger has still been in PT and still not for sure if she will every walk correctly again. (she is walking now but with a cane, and the structure does not move like it used to)

My wife the driver is okay, other than PTSD. She cant drive at night safely anymore because she gets extremely scared going around long swooping corners at night and breaks into a cry/terror.

The drunk driver blew a .27 and got away with just a couple of bruises... I wanted to know what normally happens to someone who should have killed the passenger in the car if it wasn't for luck.

We don't live in a Minority Report world...you can't arrest or charge people for something they haven't done.

Back