Wife continues to file contempt charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfowlerva

This is like the 3rd time my wife has brought a contempt charge against me for a violation of our Mediation Agreement. The Agreement states that I am not allowed to drink alcohol in the presence of my kids nor am I allowed to take them anywhere alcohol is served. It is ridiculous and I hesitated to agree originally but eventually gave in only because she had withheld visitation for over 4 months. The last time she filed it was over empty beer cans found in my bedroom. it was denied on basis of hearsay. This time I took my daughter to a Sushi restaurant and had a beer with dinner, without thinking. I am in violation technically, but don't know what to do and cannot afford to hire an attorney as I am unemployed. She is demanding I have alcohol test done prior to any visitation, which I cannot afford and would have to give up my visitation. Second issue at same time is Dept. of Revenue has given notice of suspending my license due to non-payment of child support, even though she is getting 40% of my unemployment benefits and I have no job. My hearing is on Tuesday, May 1. I asked for a continuance but it was denied. Please give me some help here.

For starters, contact a local chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous and ask for help.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, you don't need it; but it can't hurt.
It also shows you're trying to fix your alleged alcohol problem.
AA can advise how they might be of assistance at your hearing.
You are required to pay child support that was ordered.
You can't pay less just because you say you don't have it.
In your case, you need to seek a modification based on your unemployed status.
You'll have to go to court and seek that modification.
That means another hearing.
You're reaping one of the many bitter fruits of divorce.

You can afford sit down restaurants and beer, however you cannot afford child support correct? I think your priorities are skewed. You should be prepared to explain this scenario to the judge. I think going to AA, will reinforce the perception your ex is trying to create. You should not have agreed to it in the first place. Bring proof of your receiving UI. It shows you are involuntarily under-employed. Ask to have your CS amended to the lower amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back