Widow still can't cash late-husband's check

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlca

My jurisdiction is: California

Hi All,
The last post I though I needed a Medallion Signature Guarantee, but that wasn't the case. So here are the details again.

My husband owned stock in a company. He died in 2002. I didn't know he owned this stock (I thought I'd sold it all - but apparently that was just the options I sold). His former employer's company was bought by another company in 2003. The share holding company issued a check in my husband's name and my Credit Union refused to cash it because he was no longer on our joint account. I removed him about 2 months after he died, doing what those widow checklist say... The Credit Union still has a record he was on the account and was for 14 years. We opened the account together.

In 2003, the Share company said I needed their form signed with a Medallion Signature Guarantee and a bunch of other documents including the small estate affidavit. I never could track down this Medallion Signature (nobody at Schwab knew what that was) so I just gave up and the check got lost somewhere in all this financial paperwork left over from my husband's death.

Last month I get a letter from the share company saying that the check hasn't been cashed and it will go to California's abandoned property if I don't take action. I call the share holding company. They say at first they can only re-cut the check as they did in 2003. I call my Credit Union and they say they still won't let me deposit it. I call the Share company again and ask if they could put my name on the check too along with my late husband's name. The customer service rep says that they can do that if I supply the following documents (1) original death certificate (2) notarized affidavit of residency (3) small estate affidavit (4) letter of instruction. I gather all these documents and send them.

Yesterday I get the check again made out only in my late husband's name. :mad:

I call them today and they say they can't put my name on the check because they have already reported the income to the IRS and they say they send me a letter to that affect on Oct. 12, which I never got.

I ask to speak to their Legal Department to find out my options and the Phone Rep says, "We don't have a Legal Department." (It a large multi-national company dealing in Corporate Stock and they don't have a Legal Department???) I ask if someone can call me back with options. Still waiting....and I doubt I'll hear from them.

Does anyone have any idea how I might be able to deposit this check? It's less than $10K but still, the money would be really helpful right now.

Thank you so much,
Widowed in California
which is a community property state ;) for all good that's done me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back