Widow remarries and gets Cancer, potential estate issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpeepers74

Hi all- First timer,

Here's the background. State of Colorado

1999 Father died of Brain Cancer
2004 Mother remarried w/o Pre Nuputial
2007 Mother diagnosed Brain Cancer.

My father died in 99, leaving my mother a home, land, and timeshare. She also had his IRA accts. My mother has all these held in her name only in addition to her Federal Thrift Savings Plan and IRA's. Life Insurance was never updated after father died.

My mother files tax individually and has all assets in her name only. She did not complete a will after my father died.

New husband is bad with money and has no assets. He has been using her credit since marriage and has acquired nearly 50k in CC debt in her name. He filed Bankruptcy in 2003 and has poor credit.

After she went to hospital and prior to brain surgery we visited a Colorado Attorney. We set up Will, Liv Trust, POA, Liv Will, Quit Claim deeds on all properties to be held jointly, and ensured all beneficiaries were updated. All witnessed and notarized.

At present - Her Real Estate is held jointly with survivorship herself and son, financial beneficiaries of financial accounts - son, Work Retirement - Present Husband, Will 50/50 son and present husband.

Question -

Can new husband dispute quit claim deeds or financial beneficiary status?

Can credit card companies place liens on real estate property held jointly with rights of survivorship?

Thanks all.

Peepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back