Widow disposing of heirs’ bequests

I found that one as well but it is an advertisement for a lawyer and my get your last post removed. You may be able to edit it and take out the link.

I can't figure out how to edit a post. If it is removed, suffice to say that you and Zigner are right, and this is a great relief. I would not have known to pursue that.

I found that one as well but it is an advertisement for a lawyer and my get your last post removed. You may be able to edit it and take out the link.

It's not an ad. It's article written at a lawyer's website. And, even if it were an ad, it was posted by the OP, who is the person seeking legal assistance. I can't imagine any of our esteemed moderators would remove that.

It's not an ad. It's article written at a lawyer's website. And, even if it were an ad, it was posted by the OP, who is the person seeking legal assistance. I can't imagine any of our esteemed moderators would remove that.
Some sites consider a link to any outside commercial website to be inappropriate.

Just a quick update:

Yes, we will be able to use a copy of the will by filing a Petition to Probate in Solemn Form, with notarized signatures of the heirs and affidavits from the original witnesses. I would never have known to pursue this if not for the advice here. THANK YOU to all who suggested it.

I also found out that if we removed any of Dad's things, by any means, prior to the will being certified, we would have been committing theft.

I also learned that Dad's widow had not known that he had a reverse mortgage on the house that he left to my sister (said widow owned and lived in her own house). It might be that she or her brother had thought that the house had value and should have been left to her -- hence the disappearance of the original will. She had to have been in sound mind at the time she (allegedly) removed it. I'm glad that none of it matters now.

Again, many thanks.

ZIGNER:
The first I learned about the possibility of filing a copy of the will was when you said, "Whoa, that actually changes things. You may wish to contact a probate attorney in Georgia, because, under the right circumstances, there is a mechanism to allow you to file the copy of the will instead of the original."

I just wanted to come back and thank you specifically for telling me this. I later contacted a lawyer in Georgia for help in filling out the application, and he laughed in my face about the suggestion that this could happen. He had no idea of what you told me here.

We got the packet together and proved the will with no problem at all, saving us from dealing with an intestate situation. THANK YOU!

(Still no progress with getting the items Dad left us from his widow's house. She and I met with her accountant on a number of issues and he was kind enough to explain this to her. Due to his help, she allowed me to get Dad's checkbook, bills, and files from the business office he maintained in her home. As for the rest, her mind cannot retain nor comprehend that we have to inventory Dad's belongings. Sadly, I see no remedy to that.)

Happy holidays to all.

ZIGNER:
The first I learned about the possibility of filing a copy of the will was when you said, "Whoa, that actually changes things. You may wish to contact a probate attorney in Georgia, because, under the right circumstances, there is a mechanism to allow you to file the copy of the will instead of the original."

I just wanted to come back and thank you specifically for telling me this. I later contacted a lawyer in Georgia for help in filling out the application, and he laughed in my face about the suggestion that this could happen. He had no idea of what you told me here.

We got the packet together and proved the will with no problem at all, saving us from dealing with an intestate situation. THANK YOU!

(Still no progress with getting the items Dad left us from his widow's house. She and I met with her accountant on a number of issues and he was kind enough to explain this to her. Due to his help, she allowed me to get Dad's checkbook, bills, and files from the business office he maintained in her home. As for the rest, her mind cannot retain nor comprehend that we have to inventory Dad's belongings. Sadly, I see no remedy to that.)

Happy holidays to all.

You're welcome, and I appreciate the thanks. We all appreciate the update and I wish you the best as this progresses in the future. Happy holidays to you as well.

Back