Why Would the Father Sign Over Rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

italia1978

What happens when a father signs his rights over to his grandparents even though the children are in their mother's custody? What purpose would that serve? I could understand if he had sole custody but it is joint custody with the mother. They are separated and in custody of the mother because she has a restraining order against the father. The father's grandparents want sole custody of the children and they have convinced the father to sign rights over to them at an attorney's office today. I don't understand! Doesn't that give full custody to the mother and the grandparents lose out? Or could they be doing this to get him out of the picture and give them the right to fight the mother for the kids. I find it almost impossible for them to get custody because the mother is a fit parent going to work and school and has a place of her own for her and the children. My understanding is that grandparents get no special treatment in NC. It would be no different than a stranger trying to go after custody. I am just wondering what this is leading up to or if there is some kind of loop hole for the grandparents that I am not aware of. I am the mother's step-mother in case you are wondering why I am concerned.

Thanks!

I suggest the mother need not worry why anyone does anything.

From what you describe, the mother is a good person and good mother.

I see no reason for her to fear what others do, as long as she is being a good mother and citizen.

The mother is trying to get an education, working, raising her child, and being a good mom.

What more can she do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happens when a father signs his rights over to his grandparents even though the children are in their mother's custody? What purpose would that serve? I could understand if he had sole custody but it is joint custody with the mother. They are separated and in custody of the mother because she has a restraining order against the father. The father's grandparents want sole custody of the children and they have convinced the father to sign rights over to them at an attorney's office today. I don't understand! Doesn't that give full custody to the mother and the grandparents lose out? Or could they be doing this to get him out of the picture and give them the right to fight the mother for the kids. I find it almost impossible for them to get custody because the mother is a fit parent going to work and school and has a place of her own for her and the children. My understanding is that grandparents get no special treatment in NC. It would be no different than a stranger trying to go after custody. I am just wondering what this is leading up to or if there is some kind of loop hole for the grandparents that I am not aware of. I am the mother's step-mother in case you are wondering why I am concerned.

Thanks!

What has happened since your last thread on 6/17?

At that time, the GP and father had possession of the children. The mother hadn't seen them in 2 weeks.

You also stated that she allowed the GP to keep them due to her work and school schedule.

Now she has a restraining order against her husband? Was there a custody order by the court in the last 4 days?

BTW, it would have been more helpful to us if you had posted this on your other thread.

dad cannot give anyone his rights

Thanks!

dad cannot give anyone else his rights, it doesnt work that way. his rights are not transferable. no judge will allow that.the grandparents( as well as you) are legal strangers to the children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back