Who is wrong?

Reva

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I know this may sound ridiculous..but, I just want to know who is wrong. It's not the question of money and its value..but, someone questioning my integrity and character..
Coming to the point..my husband bought two tickets for a movie on Friday or early Saturday because it was my birthday on Sunday. The plan was to keep me away Saturday night while my friends come home to surprise..
But, what eventually happened was a girls night out which got advanced to Saturday night and my husband willingly stayed back home to decorate the house and surprise me with other friends.
We were 4 of us who went to the movie. Two got their own tickets and I had to share mine which would have been eventually paid later( pls note, the amount was not paid yet)But, we were 10mins late to the movie..Apparently, the theater was overbooked for that show and they said, we can only watch the 11pm show instead of the 8:30pm show. I did not take very kindly to it and I said, I won't come back all the way for a later time for their mistake and fought hard because my husband did it for my birthday..I finally told them, to give me a refund for all 4 tickets and compensate me with 4 other tickets as it was their mistake. They finally gave us a refund and the extra 4 tickets. The refund went to the other two girls for their two ticket and my husband's account for his two tickets.
Now, coming to the point. My friend who came along said that she should get the other free ticket.. My logic was I got it so I get it and she had still not paid. She stayed quiet. After which, the same evening we went to another theater for the same Indian movie but a different chain of theater..so we could not use the free ticket. Here the girls decided to use their own credit cards to get their ticket. But, the friend who did not get the free ticket slyly made me buy her a ticket and I paid thinking she is going to repay later. At the end of that night she tells me, that since I'm holding on to her free ticket she will not pay me for the second movie...the free ticket which according to her, rightfully belongs to her since she came there( we all car pooled with another friend)and to which she would have paid had we seen the movie.
I'm willing to even give her both the tickets..but, who is right? Am I wrong?

FYI, I am giving her that free ticket anyway..my family, wants me to be the bigger person and give her the ticket even though I think she has no right on it.

Last edited:
Where shall I send the lousy TEN BUCKS to make this dilemma disappear for you?

This is a friend right?

Be smart, keep it that way....

Sheesh.....

I get ur point..I have had friends who have stayed with me for more than 3months and I have cooked and taken care of them as family..but, it's a different thing when ur accused..she went around telling everybody that I'm wrongfully holding her ticket..I'm giving her that and both if she wants..but help me understand her point. She was told by friends too that it's not right..so who is thinking wrong. So I don't repeat this mistake again.

Where shall I send the lousy TEN BUCKS to make this dilemma disappear for you?

This is a friend right?

Be smart, keep it that way....

Sheesh.....

Technically; since you had the 2 tickets to that theatre, the two free tickets should be yours. However; her point is "probably" that if she would have bought a ticket there like the other 2 with you, she would have gotten a free ticket.

Don't make a big deal about it & keep your friendship!

I get ur point..I have had friends who have stayed with me for more than 3months and I have cooked and taken care of them as family..but, it's a different thing when ur accused..she went around telling everybody that I'm wrongfully holding her ticket..I'm giving her that and both if she wants..but help me understand her point. She was told by friends too that it's not right..so who is thinking wrong. So I don't repeat this mistake again.

There is no right or wrong.

You will never agree with her.

She will never agree with you.

Why worry about some old cow "mooing" all around the barnyard?

If I were you, I'd give her $25.00, apologize for the "confusion", and avoid the old cow for all of eternity.

If she ever appeared where I happened to be, I'd excuse myself and leave that barnyard.

She's no friend.

She's a "bleating" sheep, or "belching" cow.

Pay her, stay away from her, and others who behave the way she does.

Thank you guys!! I barely know her for 2 months..she has just moved from India.
That couple has been doing such silly things even after this incident..they talk, think and breathe only money. Planning to stay away from them for my own good.
When I have been fair all my life, this accusation for a meager 10$ hurt me. Lost sleep for 3 days over the accusation..
My friends have learnt a lesson too and they are careful around her but are very neutral in this argument because they see her point too.

Giving her the ticket, case closed:) Thanks again!! Had to know I was not completely wrong..

Last edited:
Lots of unnecessary details. This isn't a legal issue, so opinions are going to vary. If you agreed to pay for/gift your friend for the movie, it seems you are even. If you expected payment for the ticket, that should have been worked out ahead of time. You still have passes to use. I'm not sure how someone tricks you into buying a ticket. You know up front if you are purchasing one or two. If you didn't want to do this, at the second theater just buy one for yourself as the other friends did. Frankly it seems petty to keep score among good friends, but then my friends and I treat one another

There are some situations when money doesn't matter at all. However, technically those tickets should be yours. But do not worry. Keep your friendship alive forever. Do not let money matters come in your way.

Back