Who is responsible for mortgage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sduser

My wife and I have been separated for 6 months. We bought a house while we were married. The title and the mortgage is in her name only since her credit rating was nearly perfect. This was about 3 years ago. I have paid for the monthly mortgage payment, house expenses, insurance and property taxes for all this time. She has moved out and is living elsewhere now. I told her since we are no longer together and it looks like we will be getting a divorce in the future, I told her I want to rent a smaller place and will be moving out. She suggested getting the home rented. I no longer want to be burdened with the house and expenses since . Now, she is having problems renting the home. Since we are still married, am I obligated to pay a portion of the mortgage, property taxes, etc. related to the house? Thanks in advance.

Until you reach an agreement it will be in your best interests to pay half. It will go a lot smoother if the two of you can agree without having a judge split everything. Making her mad will not help the process. What about putting it up for sale? You do have some equity in the house but not a lot after only 3 years.

My wife opened a line of credit against the house and used a good portion of it to start her business. I think if we sell it now, the debt will be great. The original plan was to hold on to the house until the market gets better. Thanks in advance for your advice.

If neither of you pay the mortgage then the house will foreclose. I agree its probably in your best interest to pay half until you get it rented or sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back