Who is responsible for getting the Permit

morfyd

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hi everyone,

I live in Broward County, FL, I signed a contract to replace my condo windows. The contract shows "Plans/Permits" and the dollar mount. The contractor told me it would take six weeks after receiving the HOA's approval to install the windows because that was what normally held up the installation.

As luck would have it, he went to the HOA's office the next day, and sent me an email stating, that all he had to do was write a letter to them and they would approve it.

After three weeks and I failed to hear from the contractor to schedule an installation date, I emailed him to ask if he had obtained the permit, and if not to call me immediately. Two days later he responded stating that he had just received the engineer's information and that he would drop off the permit for me to sign and notarize.

That was the first time he mentioned that I needed to sign anything other than the contract.

I informed him that I would not sign anything to obtain the permit because that was his job since he was the one doing the job

My question is why do I need to sign the Broward County Uniform Building Permit Application and should I? I know that I have to sign the Notice of Commencement and Addendums to Building Permit Application.

By signing the permit application doesn't that make me responsible for anything that goes wrong?

He tells me that by not signing the application, I am in breach of contract is that correct? When I ask him to send me the approval letter from the HOA, he tells me that I can go pick it up and its nine pages. Can he do that?

Thanks

My question is why do I need to sign the Broward County Uniform Building Permit Application

Because you OWN the place.

should I?

Yes.

By signing the permit application doesn't that make me responsible for anything that goes wrong?

You're "responsible" for anything that goes wrong anyway because you OWN the place. You might (or might not) be able to hold your contractor "accountable" for anything he does wrong. I hope you understand the difference.

He tells me that by not signing the application, I am in breach of contract is that correct?

Yes.
When I ask him to send me the approval letter from the HOA, he tells me that I can go pick it up and its nine pages. Can he do that?

He CAN do it because he already DID do it. Go pick up the papers and stop nitpicking this issue.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, especially on the weekend. However, your tone is not appreciated. It is not NITPICKING.

Like the majority of people out there who you aren't attorneys, we need help in understanding our rights. I, like numerous people are under the impression that the contractors are the ones who fill out and sign the permit form. The area that says "Signature of Property Owner or AGENT". Isnt the contractor the Agent?

I asked for copies of the signed HOA approval letter, he tells me to go to the HOA myself and get it, I ask for his insurance number, I am told that I can get it from the Town, is that normal?

As an attorney, would you inform your client to ignore all these red flags, because they are NITPICKING?

FYI, I did go to my bank to get it notarized and the person was surprised that I was the one completing the form. I was informed that normally it is the contractor how did that and that the individual recently had their windows recently replaced and again it was the contractor who did all the paper work.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, especially on the weekend. However, your tone is not appreciated. It is not NITPICKING.

Like the majority of people out there who you aren't attorneys, we need help in understanding our rights. I, like numerous people are under the impression that the contractors are the ones who fill out and sign the permit form. The area that says "Signature of Property Owner or AGENT". Isnt the contractor the Agent?

I asked for copies of the signed HOA approval letter, he tells me to go to the HOA myself and get it, I ask for his insurance number, I am told that I can get it from the Town, is that normal?

As an attorney, would you inform your client to ignore all these red flags, because they are NITPICKING?

FYI, I did go to my bank to get it notarized and the person was surprised that I was the one completing the form. I was informed that normally it is the contractor how did that and that the individual recently had their windows recently replaced and again it was the contractor who did all the paper work.

The RED FLAG I'd be seeing here, is perhaps your "contractor" isn't properly licensed.

If that's true, he's more of a CONtractor.

You can determine the if TRUE status of this person is CONtractor or "contractor" here, thanks to Florida's DBPR:
Licensing Portal - License Search
My GUESS why he's balking at signing the various documents is that this worm is a CONtractor.

Pease let me know if I'm right, or a rotten, stinking, worm for falsely accusing the SCAMMER. :rolleyes: LOL

The RED FLAG I'd be seeing here, is perhaps your "contractor" isn't properly licensed.

If that's true, he's more of a CONtractor.

You can determine the if TRUE status of this person is CONtractor or "contractor" here, thanks to Florida's DBPR:
Licensing Portal - License Search
My GUESS why he's balking at signing the various documents is that this worm is a CONtractor.

Pease let me know if I'm right, or a rotten, stinking, worm for falsely accusing the SCAMMER. :rolleyes: LOL

Hello Amy,

You were right, he is a CONtractor, with everything that goes with being a CONtractor. I won't go into details what I found out.

Thanks for pointing me to the above site instead of being arrogant and condescending.Hopefully adjusterjack isn't in anyway shape and form an attorney.
Thanks.

Back