Who gets what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrikthecat

My jurisdiction is: California

Well... it's divorce time for me! I have a couple of questions for you very clever people here, if you don't mind.

1) We're still in the same house (rented). If I move out can she claim money from me so she can stay here?
2) I am good with money and bought some nice electronic gear in the last couple of years with profit from car/motorcycle deals. Can she claim any of that?
3) I have a small savings account (around $8000). Again, can she get some? Can I at least gift some to my dad in Scotland?
4) We have two cars, both loans are in my name, as are both registrations. She says she's going to keep the one that has a small loan on it. I traded a car that I bought (cash - $5000) as a down-payment. Can she do this?

Please help, guys. This lady has beaten me (physically, to the point the cops were involved) and I don't think my sanity/physical well-being is going to last until the end of the year.

She is probably entitled to a share of any marital assets. Without knowing your financial situations or how long you've been married, it's not possible to say whether you may be required to help her with rent, or if she would be awarded the car with the lower payment.

It is probably not a good idea to gift any money to your father at this time, but I suggest you consult an attorney for advice on all your questions.

The California courts have a very informative and helpful website that may help with some of your questions:

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/divorce/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back