Who delivers the supeona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayside

I have heard that it is a police officer.

Do they have to hand deliver it to you in order for it to be applicable?
Do you have to sign for it when you recieve it?

What if you lie and say you are not the person they are looking for?

This is all new to me. Thanks.

It's usually a police officer or other 'officer of the court'.
As long as they've identified who you are, hold out the paper and say you've been served, that's it. Even if you don't take the paper from them, as far as I know they can set it down or just drop it on the ground. The paper was delivered to your person, whether you accept it or not.

It depends on the law in your state. A subpoena usually can be served by either a sheriff, a marshal or whatever name a court officer in your jurisdiction has, but often it also can be served by civilians, so called "process servers", sometimes it actually can be served by anyone except a member of one of the parties in the proceedings. It can be served in person, it often can also be served to a member of your household, left at your living place or work place and in certain rare cases even be served by registered mail.

Process servers usually know what they are doing, so simply pretending not to be you usually won't help.

I have heard that it is a police officer.

Do they have to hand deliver it to you in order for it to be applicable?
Do you have to sign for it when you recieve it?

What if you lie and say you are not the person they are looking for?

This is all new to me. Thanks.

Anyone over the age of 18 and not a party to the case. That is how I do it, it saves me money and doesn't feed the government.

The person who delivers it, signs and files an AFFIDAVIT OF SERVICE.

Your state could be different, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back