Who Can Publish Photos of Dog??

Status
Not open for further replies.

plbsplbs

I operate a small website where US dog fanciers (who exhibit/breed dogs) can join and post information about themselves, their dogs, etc., including posting announcements of current or upcoming litters for sale. Members can post photos that appear with their listings.

I have run into a question of rights when it comes to photos. Here is the specific situation:

Person A had a male dog she owned, bred, and showed in AKC shows. She took photos of him while she was the registered owner. Later, she sold him to Person B. Person B is now the legal AKC registered owner of the dog.

Person A is still posting photos of the dog winning his AKC shows. She took the photos and owns the rights to the photos, and she was the legal owner at the time the photos were taken.

Person B is alleging that Person A must remove the photos, since she is no longer the owner of the dog.

Assuming no fraud is present (i.e. Person A states that the dog is "for sale" even though she no longer is the owner), then does Person A still have the right to post the photos wherever she may choose?

Thank you in advance!!

Steve

She has the rights to the pictures since she owned the dog at the time. She has her first amendment rights to post…….or freedom to do what she wants with her pictures provided she is not claiming to still be the owner or posting misleading claims or facts. She does not need to own the dog to post the pictures of the dog she owned in the past.......she has the right to her past and historical journal of dogs she has owned………..Unless she is violating terms and policies of your site. You decide!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back