Where to sue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sukki

I live in Nevada. I want to sue a ceramic tile Manufacturer whose corporate offices are located in California. I purchased the tiles in a retail store in Nevada. (The store is only marginally liable, if at all).

The manufacturer (or its rep) provided the store with the tile sample. The particular tile is available in three colors, but the store offered only one. The tile had the style name and color on a sticker provided by the manufacturer, and these are the only parameters for ordering the tile (no stock number); the labels on the tile boxes matched my invoice, which matched the sticker on the sample. After the installation was completed, I discovered that the tile had been mislabeled, i.e., the tile we got was not the tile we selected, because the tile had the wrong sticker.

In the interest of brevity, I'm omitting all the details leading to the unhappy result, so I'm not requesting that my claim be validated here. The question is simply:

Since the damages exceed the limits of Small Claims courts, both in my county and that of the manufacturer, it must be litigated in Superior Court. Must the suit be instituted in California, or can I bring suit in Nevada? And does the answer depend on a particular state's law?

Thank you.

Since the manufacturer does business and maintains a store in Nevada (and you live in NV), you can sue in Nevada. Make it easy on yourself.

Thank you for your quick response. The manufacturer does not maintain a store in Nevada. The store is an independent retailer, and the manufacturer is one of the store's suppliers. Does this change your response?

sukki said:
Thank you for your quick response. The manufacturer does not maintain a store in Nevada. The store is an independent retailer, and the manufacturer is one of the store's suppliers. Does this change your response?

If it's a national company sue their agent of service in Nevada.

Your lawyer will know how to do that or you can figure it out.

If you sue them in CA, you'll be traveling back and forth a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back