When one parent moves out of state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cate06

Hi, the jurisdiction of my divorce is in Texas, and both I and my ex lived in Houston. I will try to make a long story short! Divorced in 1999 from my ex, we have 4 children, 2 of whom are now adults. Other two are 17 and 16. Ex has disowned my 22 y.o. and my 17 y.o. 6 years ago, the court gave me permission to move to Germany, under the stipulation that I pay for the children's traveling expenses for their dad's visitation. Because I am the one that moved away, I found that fair. So for the last 6 years, I have paid for the children and I to fly to Houston (I don't want them traveling alone internationally) and I have spent 3 weeks with them in Houston (our entire family is there), and then driven them to my ex's so they can be with him for 3 weeks. Two months ago, he moved to Chicago. I simply cannot afford to fly the children (although he has disowned 2 of them) from Frankfurt, to Chicago, to Houston (where I will be) and back to Frankfurt. My 16 year old son does NOT want to see his father, and wrote him an email telling him that. And NO, I didn't encourage that! Rather the opposite...I don't let my son talk bad about his father, but his dad is extremely strict, sometimes borderline abusive. His dad said that he doesn't have a choice in the matter...he has to come, and if he doesn't come, he will take me back to court to enforce visitation.

Decree states that I have to "surrender the children to (him) at the beginning of his period of possession". It does not specify his residence.

Decree states that he must return them to me at the end of his period of possession at a place to be determined by ME.

I am sole managing conservator, and he is parent possessory conservator.

My questions are: 1) Does Texas (Harris County) retain jurisdiction in our case, where one parent lives in Germany and the other in Illinois? The decree states that Harris County Court has jurisdiction of our case, and no other court has continuing, exclusive jurisdiction.

2) Am I still obligated to pay for my son to go see his dad, even though circumstances have changed and he has moved?

3) What might happen if I can't get my son on the plane? He is bigger than I am...if he just absolutely refuses to go?

Hope this wasn't too long, and thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back