What's an asset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMunley

During my divorce, I notified my attorney and my ex that I found out he was writing "cash" checks several times a month from our joint checking account and his mother was depositing them into her account at another bank. My ex said "she was getting me my spending money for that pay period because he couldn't get to the bank." Two to three times every month for 3 years?

Luckily, I found a cancelled check where he deposited the "cash" check into his mother's account while she was in ICU at a local hospital. We're talking $500-1,500/month always written in $500 increments and made out to cash - never to his mother's name. Each time those checks were deposited, she also deposited her "rent" checks from him. The rent checks were made out to his mother and not "cash".

My attorney accepted their explanation and said to forget about it. I can't. His name is on his mother's account because they live together and he is her sole survivor. Why can't this saved money by his mother be considered an undisclosed asset? How do I proceed now that my divorce was final last month? Would he be in contempt for not disclosing the assets deposited into this account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back