What would be the likely outcome? Please help. Grandparent visitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahadanfish

ould I oppose visitation? My Dad keeps threatening to take me to court and call children's service on me everytime I have plans with my kids or I want to pick them up. He believes reasonable visitation is 3-7 days twice a month. He expects me to hand them over anytime he wants me to. I have 4 children 7,6,2,and 5 months. but he only wants to see the older 2. He does not bring them home when I ask him to but when he has had his fill. He has called cps twice both times they came to my house then closed the case. He talks bad about us (the parents) in front of my kids and to my kids. I know because they tell me. The first 2 children are from a previous relationship he abandoned them and my fiance has been their Dad longer then bio father. My dad tells our kids that he (my fiance) is not their Dad. Not to call him Dad amongst other things. I am so tired of all this drama, I work all week and want to spend time with my kids on weekends the older 2 have missed out on so much fun because we make them go to grandpas so grandpa dont get mad. What do I do in this situation? I am ready to stop giving my dad his way and do what's right for my family unit. I have tried to talk to him but all he says is lets go to court. He tells me that I am keeping "his girls" from him while they are at his house. Tired in Tennessee

Grandparents don't have visitation rights. Your father can accept the time that you allow. You make the rules when it comes to grandparents visiting. He can threaten all he wants but wont get anywhere asking a court for help. Stand your ground against dad if you need to... let him go to court. He won't be happy with the result.

Get tough and stand up for yourself. Tell your dad that he is not their dad and he will get them when you decide he will get them. Tell him if he does not stop acting like he is in control of you and your children then you will stop any visits. He is trying to scare you with court but even if he did get gp visits then he would not get them 7 days a month. As long as your not neglecting your children and your household is fit then he is in for a rude awakining. Good luck.

Last edited:
TN statute does allow grandparents to petition for visitation. This OP was informed elsewhere of the statute, but I'll post it here too.

OP - read more here

Now whether or not this grandparent actually has a chance is debatable but we've got to be careful implying that grandparents can't get visitation in a given state.

Petitioning for visitation is different than being entitled to visitation. The burden is on the grandparents, and if they are behaving as the OP suggests then there will probably be great difficulty getting what they want. It sounds as if this grandfather feels entitled to the children, and that behavior will work against him.

ould I oppose visitation? My Dad keeps threatening to take me to court and call children's service on me everytime I have plans with my kids or I want to pick them up. He believes reasonable visitation is 3-7 days twice a month. He expects me to hand them over anytime he wants me to. I have 4 children 7,6,2,and 5 months. but he only wants to see the older 2. He does not bring them home when I ask him to but when he has had his fill. He has called cps twice both times they came to my house then closed the case. He talks bad about us (the parents) in front of my kids and to my kids. I know because they tell me. The first 2 children are from a previous relationship he abandoned them and my fiance has been their Dad longer then bio father. My dad tells our kids that he (my fiance) is not their Dad. Not to call him Dad amongst other things. I am so tired of all this drama, I work all week and want to spend time with my kids on weekends the older 2 have missed out on so much fun because we make them go to grandpas so grandpa dont get mad. What do I do in this situation? I am ready to stop giving my dad his way and do what's right for my family unit. I have tried to talk to him but all he says is lets go to court. He tells me that I am keeping "his girls" from him while they are at his house. Tired in Tennessee

I know this is an older post and I'll probably get yelled at for commenting, but after reading it and the following comments and no one else picked up on this I HAD to post...

Note the highlighted sections in the OP. WHY are you not questioning why this grandad wants these girls so often and ONLY these girls?? Just what little you put in your post would have me running my kids to the doctor for an exam and a lengthy conversation about good/bad touch. Your post had red flags flying for me.

I know this is an older post and I'll probably get yelled at for commenting, but after reading it and the following comments and no one else picked up on this I HAD to post...

Note the highlighted sections in the OP. WHY are you not questioning why this grandad wants these girls so often and ONLY these girls?? Just what little you put in your post would have me running my kids to the doctor for an exam and a lengthy conversation about good/bad touch. Your post had red flags flying for me.

How about the fact that the older two are from a DIFFERENT FATHER? Maybe Dad hates the new fiance.

Not everything is a child abuse scare, momma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back