What will happen to me in probate court for advancing money to myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

defcon503

I am the executor and sole beneficiary to my grandpa's estate. I am the only person in the will, and we have no other family so no one will be contesting. I transferred 15,000 to my bank account to pay for an after the funeral party for him, I also payed for the funeral for my grandmother (who passed the day before his funeral) and for my grandfathers obituary. I had left over money and used it to pay off my own personal credit cards. The money was in a trust for my grandmother, then the will said after she passed, the money is mine free of trust. I assumed that this was okay to do that since I am the sole beneficiary and from what the will said. Now I was just told I couldn't that by my attorney. Everything needed to come out of the estate account and I couldn't borrow from it. I haven't told him that I borrowed, I asked him after the fact. The estate is worth around 1.5 million in cash + stocks and bonds. Do I pay this money back or did I just throw away 1.5 million for 15,000? Yup, I'm an idiot!

So do you think this will be brought up in probate? Or is it just a problem if someone files an action? Also, what would happen if I can't pay it back? I only used 4,000 on myself. Or would I have to pay back the whole 15?

The judge could find you guilty of embezzling the funds. He could then designate an executor to process the estate and that could run up hundreds of thousands in legal bills off the top.

Does anyone know what will actually happen? And with paying the money back before probate should I be okay? Still not clear on paying back the 4 or 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back